Strange Tire Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Was rotating the tires on the Sonata today and this one was on the front left, now on the right rear. Has a strange crack in it, was wondering what you guys thought? I think I'll continue on with it and just keep an eye on the tire. I bought the car 13,500 miles and 7 months ago and the tires were almost brand new when I got it. They're Kumho Solus TA11s. Tires are feathering slightly on the outer edges, I'll probably get an alignment next time I get tires.

Kind of strange how it looks like it stretches, not like a cut. No bumps in the tire and the others look fine.

10z4to0.jpg

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
You'll probably start seeing more of those cracks soon.
Aren't you supposed to cross the rears for FWD?
When I rotated them after 6,000 miles or so, I just did front to back. This time I did an X pattern.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
notice rubber crumbling at the sharp edges. the tire is either old or overheated (underinflated?)

Tire date code is 3315, I keep them around 35 psi which is a little above door placard. Also drive a little aggressively so that might be it.

That car isnt a heavy car unless you over load your trunk with junk. How is your alignment? If under warranty just bring it to dealer and complain. Make sure if they tell you that its nothing to worry about, have them put it in writing.

If you drive super hard maybe rotate every 5000 miles. I havent heard of people rotating in X patterns in a long time especially on newer cars as that can cause belt separation due to the different forces on the tires. What does your car manual state?

Did you balance tires before you rotated them? A lot of people get lazy and just do a garage swap.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about i beyond what it really is, just a junk OEM get it out the door tire. Trust me all those Kuhmo tires they use on sonatas are absolute TRASH. I know 3 other guys with Sonatas and mine took the grand prize of making 36000 miles and I ran those pigs almost bald. Everyone else's [censored] out at under 30K.
Take it to a stealer and see what line of poo he passes off on you. Maybe it will be their old standby, You didn't get them balanced and rotated twice a year
mad.gif
. That's right up there with getting your disk brakes cleaned annually which is a Hyundai favorite though it is catching on with at least of the other companies stealerships as well.

I had that happen on a set of BFG Rugged Trail tires that came on my 2008 Tacoma when I bought it new. The cracks spread along the circumference, and BFG replaced them under warranty with 26k miles or so on them.

Side note: the Rugged Trail was the absolute worst tire I’ve ever had. The wet and snow traction was horrendous. Do not buy.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
10z4to0.jpg

In addition to the crack I notice some chipping on the edges of the tread element. It is always the same edge - a partial depth cross groove, sort of within a button element. There's also some very minor chipping elsewhere.

Do you perhaps have a gravel driveway or park in a gravel lot?

Because of the shape of the crack, I think it is either from rolling over an object (like a rock) that overstressed the tread rubber.

- OR -

There is a bit of inconsistency in the tread rubber mix.

Neither of these is cause for alarm. Just check it the next time you rotate tires - and I'm hoping that is about 5K to 8K from now.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
10z4to0.jpg

In addition to the crack I notice some chipping on the edges of the tread element. It is always the same edge - a partial depth cross groove, sort of within a button element. There's also some very minor chipping elsewhere.

Do you perhaps have a gravel driveway or park in a gravel lot?

Because of the shape of the crack, I think it is either from rolling over an object (like a rock) that overstressed the tread rubber.

- OR -

There is a bit of inconsistency in the tread rubber mix.

Neither of these is cause for alarm. Just check it the next time you rotate tires - and I'm hoping that is about 5K to 8K from now.
I don't have a gravel driveway, I've driven it on a rough dirt/gravel road once for about 10-12 miles before.I usually rotate at 6-7k.

I'll keep an eye on it next time I rotate. The car is long past warranty and I bought the car used at a Subaru dealer and it came with these tires.

Last time I read about something like that it was due to belt failure inside of the carcass. But that also comes with a bump, lots of road noise, maybe even pressure loss. With a crack that small though, it could just be slight damage from road debris.

Just keep an eye on it. Make sure it doesn't bulge out or the crack doesn't get deeper. Tires will show major signs before they blow and they're more durable than you think.

Originally Posted By: avacado11
Last time I read about something like that it was due to belt failure inside of the carcass. .......

Just an FYI. A belt failure is typically at the belt edges - under the top belt at the edge of the top belt. The failure starts as a small internal crack, and grows in a triangle shape following the cords and the belt edge. If allowed to grow large enough, it will result in a wear spot just about an inch inside the edge of the tread, but nowhere else.

The exception to this is an impact which grows into separation. This could be what we are seeing here, so it would be wise to keep a eye on it. - BUT - I haven't seen but one or 2 tires out of the thousands of belt failures I have seen where an impact in the center of the tread resulted in a full blown belt detachment. Mostly they were isolated separations that resulted in a vibration - which is why the tire was removed. (That would be a clue as well!)

Looks like you ran over my wife's missing upper plate. We've been on a trip thru the southwest and she sneezed somewhere in Arizona shooting her denture out of her mouth! Do you recall where you were driving when you believe this crack stated? I gotta find those teeth, all that whistling when she trys to talk is maddening!
crackmeup2.gif

Well, did a tire rotation again today 15,000 miles since I made this post, (I also did one around 7k miles ago).

The crack mentioned above looks the same.

However, this same tire, in the same tread line, about 1/2 way around the tire, has a new crack. It's bigger and worse than the other.

Is this concerning? The rest of the tires look fine and have worn pretty evenly. Tread still has some life but not a ton. Maybe 15k before I'd replace? The last pic is what they look like

30mvehf.jpg

mkpko.jpg

34r92pw.jpg

I guess you don’t get much rain - those might hydroplane in a downpour
I’d probably take a picture of the crack every 2k if pushing them longer

Last edited:
I'd re-evaluate them at the next rotation. Odds are pretty strong I'd probably get an alignment and replace them at the next scheduled rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back