ProMotive PH 4612 CUT OPEN & TORN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks
smile.gif

This piece of filth came off my CSOB friends 2010 Hyundai Sonata with 2.0 engine and baseline model car, 4dr

He got filter from Advance Auto Parts and some Carquest Conventional 5w30 while back. Car has over 180k on odometer. He says OCI interval with this junker filter and oil was 4,000~

I helped him with the oil change; installed a FRAM Tough Guard 9688 and some Chevron Supreme 10w30 from "the stash". Better than a Puro P.O.S. LOL!

Enjoy the pictures folks
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
Another GARBAGE filter made by Purolator...

I told my friend "buy fram ULTRA, Tough Guard or WIX or NAPA GOLDS from here on out"

"Classic" Tear-O-Lator! Any Chinese filter would have been better. Unfortunately, I have a bunch of this style in stock, I'm probably going to scrap most of them.

This may well be the first failure of a 14612 sized oil filter. If one can't trust this short stubby little thing then can't trust anything at all. The thinking has been the taller filters with too big a gap at the base if the filter caused the tears in those. That is not the case here because this is the shortest filter out there.
As to where's the cardboard ends... The 7317s have looked extremely good for quite awhile now. Using the simpler design of fiber end caps. Certainly way, way better than the 14610s which have been tearing quite a bit with the metal end caps. There have e been some good looking 14610s out there. I had one that was just fine. But there are too many that have not been good at all at too high of a failure rate.
Good work here Captain as always.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
This may well be the first failure of a 14612 sized oil filter. If one can't trust this short stubby little thing then can't trust anything at all. The thinking has been the taller filters with too big a gap at the base if the filter caused the tears in those. That is not the case here because this is the shortest filter out there.
As to where's the cardboard ends... The 7317s have looked extremely good for quite awhile now. Using the simpler design of fiber end caps. Certainly way, way better than the 14610s which have been tearing quite a bit with the metal end caps. There have e been some good looking 14610s out there. I had one that was just fine. But there are too many that have not been good at all at too high of a failure rate.
Good work here Captain as always.

Thanks Bradley
smile.gif

Yeah, Puro quality is still in the gutter

WOW and that's the shorty too!
crazy2.gif

I think that's actually the first torn 14612-size Purolator. The shorty cans were usually safe because of the better length-to-diameter ratio (kind of like an I-beam), while the longer 14610's failure rate was much higher (longer media, same diameter)

F08H25E2
August 25, 2016

So this was made *after* the redesign changes (which occurred late 2015 and early 2016), and since this is the first torn shorty, it means Purolator's quality is getting worse, not better.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
WOW and that's the shorty too!
crazy2.gif

I think that's actually the first torn 14612-size Purolator. The shorty cans were usually safe because of the better length-to-diameter ratio (kind of like an I-beam), while the longer 14610's failure rate was much higher (longer media, same diameter)

F08H25E2
August 25, 2016

So this was made *after* the redesign changes (which occurred late 2015 and early 2016), and since this is the first torn shorty, it means Purolator's quality is getting worse, not better.

LOL! Very true, and here's the money shot

Back in my day, Purolator filters were among the best, most highly regarded filters here on BITOG. My day predates this account, however, by five years.

The bypass valve looks like it might have been open the whole time. That is #4 kind of defect to watch for on these. Someone before showed a new Boss with it's bypass off it's seat, same type bypass. These are the defects I know about that are probably common. Maybe there are more, not an expert.

1. tearing of media
2. closed louvers
3. cut ADBV
4. off center bypass valve

Interesting Ford, now Toyota for one model, are going to Purolator. Nice contract to supply Ford and Toyota service bays across the land.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The bypass valve looks like it might have been open the whole time. That is #4 kind of defect to watch for on these. Someone before showed a new Boss with it's bypass off it's seat, same type bypass. These are the defects I know about that are probably common. Maybe there are more, not an expert.

1. tearing of media
2. closed louvers
3. cut ADBV
4. off center bypass valve

Interesting Ford, now Toyota for one model, are going to Purolator. Nice contract to supply Ford and Toyota service bays across the land.

Yes, strange bedfellows indeed. Kind of sad actually

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Truly amazing.

Now, why did I put a P1 on the Ford???
21.gif

Thanks for the cut & post.

Why did I put a P1 on the Ford? I don't know LOL!

You are welcome WellOiled
smile.gif

I feel bad [censored] on Puro even more, but wow I see no reason to give that company a dime of business. That includes Motorcraft filters too, unfortunately. I'll stick to my Ultras and the occasional ACDelco Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back