Bled some brakes today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the daughter is heading off to the dorms next week I took the opportunity today to swap out some fresh tires and go over her breaks. PO did a pad slap but neglected to lubricate ANYTHING; re-did the rears a little while back and now it was time for fronts. So frustrating but at least minimal new parts (just a pad hardware kit).

Brake fluid was terrible, though. When I did the rears and siphoned the MC and flushed them out a little, though I knew it wasn't good enough. When I siphoned the MC today the fluid coming out was thick, opaque, dark yellow (Pics when I find my phone). Replaced with Valvoline Dot3/4 (Not worried about that debate, just leave it as I have used this fluid for a long time and it works). Bled everything out with my new Motive Power Bleeder. So easy! Anyways, brakes no longer drag and feel just about a good as one could hope for with these cheap pads. Can readily lock up the 265/70r17 LTX AT2 tires that are on it now!

Seriously, though. Who installs breaks with completely dry and unlubricated caliper pins? Front and rears are slightly different but both are a version of metal pin in rubber bushing. Can you say stiction?!?

I used to never liube my brakes. Not because I was lazy but I didn't Know to. I remember pulling a slid pin and it having grease and I wiped it off and asking myself how did that get there. Lol

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Well done! Peace of mind.

Say, where and how much did you get the motive? Any user experience tips, tricks or warnings?

One tip I learned is test hook it to the reservoir empty and make sure it holds pressure without brake fluid. Mine popped off and fluid went everywhere.

The Motiv is awesome. I bought one several years ago for a previous VW, then last summer bought a different attachment to do the brakes on the Xterra since my wife didn't like helping, lol. Definitely a must have for one person brake flushing.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
While it makes bleeding brakes much easier, all one needs are fish tank air line and an empty 1L pop bottle to bleed brake line by self.

Or just buy a bleeder and make it easier on yourself. And have another tool for the garage:)

Me too, if I don't need the tool to do the job, I don't buy/rent it.
Doing this at home - taking wheels off cars was most labor intensive, bleeding was a piece of cake.

When I'm working on an open system, I maintain a gravity bleed. This keeps the ABS happy. If the job stops, I cap the system. If you can't get a gravity bleed then the system isn't air tight. I went through 2 qts doing the lines and hoses on the Rat.

Nice work. Brake fluid is often overlooked even by the "pros." I am sure your daughter's car is in good shape for the year. Congrats

Originally Posted By: buck91
Seriously, though. Who installs breaks with completely dry and unlubricated caliper pins?

Quite a lot. I see it on forums, I hear it in guy discussions.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: buck91
Seriously, though. Who installs breaks with completely dry and unlubricated caliper pins?

Quite a lot. I see it on forums, I hear it in guy discussions.

Not typical perhaps but my BMW FSM specifies that the pins are installed dry and unlubricated. Seems to work fine all the years I've had the car.

Originally Posted By: barryh
Gravity bleed for me. No mess, no risk. It does take longer but I have the time.

That's pretty much how I've done it for more years than I care to count. I thought about a Motive Bleeder. but for an average of one brake bleed job every two years or so it didn't seem worth it.

I just used a turkey baster for the MC, then gravity bled the calipers on my 2016 Forester. Safe and easy. Took about an hour and a quart of DOT3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back