Friction modifier needed even if the fluid contain

Status
Not open for further replies.
s it.
The Explorer has the carbon fiber clutch setup. I just used the VV 75W140 with the blended modifier. It seemed quiet for a while, maybe didn't notice it. I started to notice a "rubbing noise" on very low speed turns. Added about 3/4 of a bottle of the skunk oil and it is perfectly quiet now. It also kicks in faster, I use it up some steeper gravel roads.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Yes absolutely it can. I only buy fluid without it added because the modifier can cause issues with the Torsen diff in my Mustang.

There was a tech at the parts counter and he said exactly that. He said every 8.8 rebuild or service gets 3 qts M/C 75W140 w/the modifier (depending on the application). They have kit bags of it ready to go. They service fleets of trucks.

His claim was the Ford oil is as heavy duty as you are going to get, it is used in trucks being pushed to their limit, and blended to address certain issues. In my case it probably won't matter. He also said to never use anything but 75W140 in an LS.

He said to try the modifier, see if it works and if there are any issues do a drain and fill with the right stuff, but I should be fine.

Seems perfect now though, but in the future I'm using exactly what is speced for it. Everyone seems to be fine with the aftermarket oil.

Yes absolutely it can. I only buy fluid without it added because the modifier can cause issues with the Torsen diff in my Mustang.

What kind of issues? I wouldn’t think the gears would care, either way.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

People have reported the don't lock up properly. Either way I am not chancing it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

People have reported the don't lock up properly. Either way I am not chancing it.

Interesting. Doesn't make sense, but an interesting anecdote.

Also, before anyone trash talks the Carbon fiber trac lok LS, have a look at this.
Skip to 17:20 unless you want to watch the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back