Air filter time for the Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! It's time for an air filter change for my 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium 2.0 turbo. Trying to choose between the Fram Extra Guard CA11480 and the Motorcraft FA1912. I've read good things about each manufacturer but I'd like to choose the best one. They look and feel the same except the Fram has some sort of "gauze pre filter" looking piece on it. Thanks for any insight!

Originally Posted By: PW01
Hey all! It's time for an air filter change for my 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium 2.0 turbo. Trying to choose between the Fram Extra Guard CA11480 and the Motorcraft FA1912. I've read good things about each manufacturer but I'd like to choose the best one. They look and feel the same except the Fram has some sort of "gauze pre filter" looking piece on it. Thanks for any insight!

Buy the one on sale and change it out every time you do an OCI.

Change it when the manufacturer says to which is normally every 30k unless it sees dirty/dusty conditions. Sometimes 20k seems to be the sweet spot. Silicon will start to get high in UOAs after 30k miles on the air filter.

I have the Fram in the Matrix and like the way it looks and the construction of it. Great fit. Seems better constructed than the oem one. If you get the Fram you can compare it to the one that comes out of it.

They are likely the same. Choose the cheapest. I used to do mine twice a year. Now i do cabin filter twice a year and my air filter every 2 years going forth. I likely get 20-30k miles in 2 years.

Last edited:
Every OCI seems a bit extreme

+1 and I check it once a year, blow it out and the box and when it starts looking grungy I will change it out. Usually about 15k

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Buy the one on sale and change it out every time you do an OCI.

You serious? Every OCI? Unless he's running 20,000 mile or longer OCI, this is WAY too often.

I'd say change it out more like every 20,000 - 30,000 miles.

I'd just change it when it gets pretty dirty and can't be blown clean anymore. A slightly dirty filter filters better anyway, so I'd rather have a slightly dirty one in than a clean one from changing it too much.

Every OCI seems a bit extreme

Really lots of folks on here are doing 10 and 15K OCI's.

But frankly I do mine twice a year along with my OCI's and its always clearly dirty!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses and input. I think I'm going to go with the Fram. The filters appear identical in construction and quality, the only difference seems to be the foam pre filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back