Snowblower & Generator Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stock of now discontinued (I think) Briggs & Stratton Low Temp Full Syn Small Engine Oil that was sold at Lowes is almost gone and was thinking of ordering the Toro Full Syn from HD for my snowblowers. The question is, are these oils really different from the high quality syns that are sold for our cars and trucks? Are there ingredients in them that make them better suited for small air cooled engines? I have a large stock of GC and other Castrol (& many other brands) oils including LL03 5W-30 for my TDI. I have 15W-50 and several other grades of XP M1 too.

Never knew that they had a Castrol EDGE SUPERCAR EDGE 10W-60 ....?

Saw that, thanks. the Toro is $7.49 at HD. this is the low temp one I have/had.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Briggs-Stratton-32-oz-4-Cycle-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Engine-Oil/3081449

Just found this too but the low temp # is 20 degrees, gets much colder by me.

Part Number: 100169WEB
Vanguard 15W-50 100% Full Synthetic engine oil was designed for demanding commercial engine applications. It is ideal for prolonged use work applications that require maximum engine protection and performance.

100% Full Synthetic
Reduced Oil Consumption
Longer Life
Zinc anti-wear additive
Operating temperature range 20° to 130°
Designed for commercial engine applications
Warranty-approved

Last edited:
Once we bought cars that take 0W-20 I ended up with a big stash of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. My Honda mower and Tecumseh snowblower have been running great on Pennzoil Platinum for years. As long as it's the correct weight, I wouldn't hesitate.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Once we bought cars that take 0W-20 I ended up with a big stash of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. My Honda mower and Tecumseh snowblower have been running great on Pennzoil Platinum for years. As long as it's the correct weight, I wouldn't hesitate.

Just wondering if there additives (like zinc)that make it better for small air cooled engines, or low temp use.

I mentioned this on another post but I have been using Supertech 5w-30 dino in all my OPE with zero issues. This includes my snowthrower which starts like a champ at -15. Ultimately regular servicing will give you many years of service.

If you have a large stash of 30 weight oil, use it. B&S recommends 5W-30 below 40 degrees.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/faqs/browse/mower-oil-type-and-capacity.html

Quote:
The question is, are these oils really different from the high quality syns that are sold for our cars and trucks?

I didn't know this myself but apparently a whole lot different from this VOA in Dec 2014. It's an API SJ oil vs SN for our cars and trucks, so a lot more anti-wear additives and a good dose of Ca.

UqvuFim.png

I used to run Yardman/MTD 5w30 Synthetic Snowblower oil in my old Toyota Yaris - turned out to be the best oil that has ever been in there.

It was blended down in in LA, IIRC and its was loaded with classic AW/EP goodies. Just make sure its not ILSAC GF5 rebadged one dollar ho hum oil.

Don't bother buying that expensive stuff. ANY synthetic SN store oil is more than enough.

Since you already have LL03 5W30 oil, I would use it.

Rotella T5 syn blend 10W30 is also another good choice.

I ended up buying some of the B&S Vanguard and to use up a store credit I bought this at Sears, EcoTech Full Syn 4-Cycle 5W-30 in 20 oz bottles, never heard of it before and when I searched a while back I didn't find much info on it.

Last edited:
This is the MSDS for the EcoTech if anybody cares...

Finish Line Technologies Material Safety Data Sheet
Finish Line Synthetic 5W30 Page 1 of 6
Finish Line Technologies Emergency: 800-424-9300
1545 Fifth Industrial Ct
Bay Shore, NY 11706 Information: 631-666-7300
SECTION 1 CHEMICAL PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
Product: Finish Line Synthetic 5W30 Engine Oil
Synonyms/Other: Synthetic 5W30 motor oil
MSDS CODE: 10599
Product Type: Engine lubricant
Preparation/Revision Date: 07/19/2011
SECTION 2 COMPOSITION INFORMATION