Helpme pick winter oil /filter for04 Toyota Solara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
It's been a while, but it's now time for my winter oil change. Car is in sig. I have 5+ qts of all the oil listed below and they were all bought around the same time. I just wanted to know which would provide the best protection, gas mileage, easy start ups(best overall for a long winter). Oil will be changed mid October and will not be out before May of next year. I'm located in Long Island if that helps and I'll be doing about 50% highway driving to college and the rest is a 1 mile drive to my new job at pepboys. The car does get to around 45 miles an hour for a minute or two since pepboys is on a service road when going to work.

1. Valvoline Synpower 5W30

2. Valvoline Syn HM 5w30

3. Castrol Edge 0W30 (belgium)

4. Castrol Magnatec (semi syn) 5W30

5. Castrol Edge HM 5W30

6. Pennzoil Ultra 5W30

Oil Filters

1. Fram TG4386

2. Royal Purple 10-2840

3. Mobil 1 M103

4. Motorcraft with the silicone ADBV Long version

5. Napa Silver

6. Also I have a bosch distance plus D3330

Thanks!
T

Last edited by a moderator:
All the oils you listed are quality lubricants, IMO, and you will not be able to tell the difference between them when it comes to winter protection on LI. I mean, it's not Fairbanks, Alaska.

And you could easily run them all year long. No need to change to a different oil for winter.

ACEA stuff is real thick.

ILSAC Mag, Edge or PU. )0W or 5W Doesn't matter on Long Island.

In fact QS green bottle "dino" would be great.

I used to like QSUD in the winter.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
ACEA stuff is real thick.

Specifically, ACEA A3/B4 may be considered thick(er) at operating temp.

But ACEA A1/B1 or A5/B5, like the PU 5w-30 meets, isn't any thicker than typical ILSAC GF-5 stuff.

Quattro Pete, I agree with you, just that I've been running dino QS since May so I wanna get that out and switch to something else. Blackstone has cleared me for 7k per OCI and I'll probably get there with the next fill. Owners manual calls for 5W30 which almost all of the oils are. I was gonna go for the Belgian Castrol 0W30, but I wasn't sure if it would be too thick or overkill for the 2AZFE engine. It does burn about 1/2 a quart every 3000 miles if that helps.

Any of the oils will be fine, and you won't be able to tell any difference.

If you already have/own the Bosch distance plus, it will be a good one.

For your climate, any of those will be fine. Anything with PAO will make for an excellent winter oil. EDGE 0W-30/40 and M1 EP come to mind.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Edge 0w30 and the M1 filter

This

And give the car a good highway run every now and then. I dont think ur oil is getting to temp and thus condensation in oil would be my concern.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
All the oils you listed are quality lubricants, IMO, and you will not be able to tell the difference between them when it comes to winter protection on LI. I mean, it's not Fairbanks, Alaska.

And you could easily run them all year long. No need to change to a different oil for winter.

This. Run a 0w30 year-round if you truly want the best cold start performance, but I doubt you'll notice a significant difference over a 5w30 or whatever.

I've had good luck on my 04 Camry with Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 . The RPMs don't rise as high at startup and it settles down quicker. I think it's the same 2.4L 4 cylinder

0w30 and that Bosch distance plus is what I would use,

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
I've had good luck on my 04 Camry with Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 . The RPMs don't rise as high at startup and it settles down quicker. I think it's the same 2.4L 4 cylinder

Interesting, I thought the IAC controlled that.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Forever snarky.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Forever snarky.

Lol. Well, that's what the IAC does.

RPM's rise at startup because a higher fuel ratio is required for combustion on a cold engine. Depending how cold it is, the high idle time will vary. As the engine warms, the ratio and RPM go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back