Pennzoil Platinum Dexos 1 Gen 2 PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen 2 PDS Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 PDS they are now advertising 50% cleaner than the toughest industry standard. they previously had to lower the old formulation to 30% cleaner when the new Gen 2 deposit test came out. I think its very impressive. Not much seperating PP and PUP now that they made PP thicker and cleaner than the previous formulation.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Impressive. It also has the Honda HTO-06 certification. Not many 0w-20 oils can say that.

You mean not many blenders want to pay for it?

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
I found the Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen 2 PDS Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 PDS they are now advertising up to 50% cleaner than the toughest industry standard. they previously had to lower the old formulation to 30% cleaner when the new Gen 2 deposit test came out.

Fixed it for you. Looks like pretty good oil, especially considering finding 0W-20 PUP at a good price is difficult. I got 10 quarts of PUP from Wally World but my Amazon order (placed July 26) had the estimated arrival date change from Sept. 14 to no ETA.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Impressive. It also has the Honda HTO-06 certification. Not many 0w-20 oils can say that.

Mobil 1 did if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
I found the Pennzoil Platinum Dexos1 Gen 2 PDS Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 PDS they are now advertising 50% cleaner than the toughest industry standard. they previously had to lower the old formulation to 30% cleaner when the new Gen 2 deposit test came out. I think its very impressive. Not much seperating PP and PUP now that they made PP thicker and cleaner than the previous formulation.

Well one bureaucrat in government can change all that with one stroke of his pen.

I did not see that the 0W20 has the HTO-06 approval. Only the 5W30.

Prove it. It's an interesting hypothesis, but how do you know that an oil lacking certification is just because a blender doesn't feel like paying for it?

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix

Page one of the PDS linked above under Specifications, Approvals and Recommendations.

Page one of the PDS linked above under Specifications, Approvals and Recommendations.

On the Pennzoil website, on the page for Platinum the PDS links take me to the PDS for Ultra Platinum. The 0W20 Ultra Platinum is not HTO-06 approved.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Prove it. It's an interesting hypothesis, but how do you know that an oil lacking certification is just because a blender doesn't feel like paying for it?

What he said is true.

Just look at when Dexos first came out. PLENTY of oils met the spec but a few oil companies didn't want to pay the license fee to GM. Once Dexos proved that it was here to stay and GM made it a required spec everybody, even SUPERTECH, came to meet the spec.

The 0W-20 Platinum I poured in this afternoon claims HTO-06. The 5W-20 version does not (but has to pass TEOST coking tests from which 0W-20 is exempt, if I understand correctly.)

Last edited:
I just bought 20 quarts of the PUP 5W-30 at WallyWorld for $25. They have the $2/quart rebate going on until the end of the years so with tax I'm at $17.25 per 5-quart bottle.

Wonder how long until the equivalent Shell Helix Ultra product will take to arrive in Aus?...

Not that I need it, Dexos2 FTW. these new ultra thin oils are not friends with my older turbo cars...

Jordan

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
What he said is true.

Just look at when Dexos first came out. PLENTY of oils met the spec but a few oil companies didn't want to pay the license fee to GM. Once Dexos proved that it was here to stay and GM made it a required spec everybody, even SUPERTECH, came to meet the spec.

A license is much different than paying for a certification. IIRC, only Dexos is structured in a license format, where you have to keep paying for it with each product sold. I believe the other common "approvals," such as LL-01, are a one-time fee that is pretty cheap, all things considered.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Well one bureaucrat in government can change all that with one stroke of his pen.

Never mind that lubricant standards come from committees made up of private industry on the lubricant and vehicle manufacturer side of things ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back