Email hosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to be more...aware, if nothing else... about online privacy. Switched to a slightly less insecure web browser, use a slightly less invasive search engine and occasionally use a free vpn service. Now, I know I should get on board with a quality VPN if I want to be serious but honestly, I'm not serious just want to minimize the invasion when possible.

Anyways, despite all this I have been using (multiple) gmail accounts for years. It is my understanding that the google engine utilizes the meta and actual content of these in some of their "stuff" although I'm not the most well versed. I also believe this is a common practice.

Are their any good, private/secure email services out there? No need for encryption just don't need to volunteer my data. Free would be...important. Not sure if these two ideas are compatible.

Good luck with free. I use Fastmail for business purposes. You may take a look at Protonmail.

Another vote for ProtonMail.

On a separate note, if you want to consider secure texting, look at Signal.

LOL

Your important data is out there after the Equifax hack and all the other hacks before it and since. Paying for an email account will do absolutely nothing to protect you.

Just enable double authentication on GMail and you'll be OK as far as unauthorized access is concerned. For a hack... I would trust Google to have more sophisticated guardianship than smaller outlets.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I've been trying to be more...aware, if nothing else... about online privacy. Switched to a slightly less insecure web browser, use a slightly less invasive search engine and occasionally use a free vpn service. Now, I know I should get on board with a quality VPN if I want to be serious but honestly, I'm not serious just want to minimize the invasion when possible.

Anyways, despite all this I have been using (multiple) gmail accounts for years. It is my understanding that the google engine utilizes the meta and actual content of these in some of their "stuff" although I'm not the most well versed. I also believe this is a common practice.

Are their any good, private/secure email services out there? No need for encryption just don't need to volunteer my data. Free would be...important. Not sure if these two ideas are compatible.

I have one of these account for sending confidential documents etc... https://protonmail.com

Steve

Last edited:
Steve & RW,

AS I posted above I suggested Fastmail and I do like it, so much I pay the small annual fee. I also have Live/Outlook, Yahoo and gmail accounts.
Most used right now is Live/Outlook as I have had them a long time. Im not a fan of gmail and yahoo.

Anyway, as I posted, I like fastmail as I can send large files and still recommend them, rock solid so far. But ...

Now based on your Proton posts I just signed up for one of their free accounts to try out, so far I am impressed and yes, security seems second to no one.
My thing about security besides bank statements and such is simply, hating the fact that huge companies like google build profiles on you and target your darn computer with ads, they also sell and farm out your profiles, no different then equifax. Its really gone to far, this is my way of rebelling. No question sometimes targeted ads are fun and come in handy but its all so obnoxious when you think about it, never mind the possibility of security loopholes and malware being delivered to your computer.

Anyway, good post and suggestion on the Protonmail,
I would certainly suggest people looking for email to try it out as well as Fastmail and look forward to working with Protonmail more and decide between them or migrate my others into these two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back