My break in method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a new engine put on my mower under warranty. Here is what I do with new engines. I got this from an old guy when I bought a new Snapper back in 1991 and it lasted 17 years so why not.

At 2 hours - drain and fill with some Valvoline SAE 30 I have laying around.
At 5 hours - drain and fill with some 10w30, then I will go with yearly changes.

I don't have any 10w30 laying around so some suggestions would be nice, keep it to 10w30 please, it's what the manual calls for and for warranty purposes I will stay with 10w30. I have be using Kohler 10w30 but open to some suggestions.

I drain the first fill at 4-5 hours and refill with T5 10w30. Then change every 1 to 2 years depending on use. Ed

Last edited:
I second Rotella 10w30 if you insist on 10wxx.
Air cooled OPE, I'm pretty firm on straight weight from experience though.
I'm finally through all my Delo 30 weight from the infamous 99 cent AZ sale, and have restocked on Mobil 1630 for my Kohler twin.

If its under 5hp anything will do - I prefer Rotella triple protect 10w30 dino for mower and snow blower and Subaru EJ motors, but I cant find it anymore - though I haven't been to a SANEL auto parts recently where they used to carry it.

Bigger engines I would NOT use automotive ILSAC oil - very shear and gum/varnish prone.

Summer SAE30HD, fall maybe an ACEA A3,B4 10w30 or 40.
My Briggs push mower is over 25 years old gets its oil changed MAYBE every 3 years. I does Get it's foam element cleaned and oiled every 2 or so. I only mow about 2 or 3 hours a year since my lawn is shrinking and moss and woods ground cover is taking over - fine buy me.

Last edited:
I have been changing my OPE with Supertech 5w-30 for about 10 years now w/o issue. Yearly oil and filter (if applicable) is the key to long life. That and winterizing properly. Don't let the ethasluge form over the offseason

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Bigger engines I would NOT use automotive ILSAC oil - very shear and gum/varnish prone.

Summer SAE30HD, fall maybe an ACEA A3,B4 10w30 or 40.
My Briggs push mower is over 25 years old gets its oil changed MAYBE every 3 years.

ACEA A3/B4 all the time...from 15w to 5w....sae40

I change oil from every season...sometimes every second season(MAX)

I like the idea of using a HD oil in the mower and would use Rotella T5 in a heart beat if I could find it in quarts. At 20oz a change it would take me 6 years to use up a gallon, I just don't want to have an open jug of oil laying around that long. I'll have to check Bomgaars again this weekend to see if they have it in quarts, if not I'll stick with the Kohler.

Thanks for the replies.

Ran t5 in the blower. No likey.

Ran some OLD OLD Red bottle QS 10w30 HM with the additive and that was excellent.

Likey Triple protect dino better.

Of course that was a sample of 1.

Went to wally to do some grocery shopping yesterday so I slipped over by the oil section and was surprise to see they have T5 in 10w30 and I think they had dino to, just said Triple protect. I swear the last time I was over there they didn't have any Rotella in quarts.

I think next spring I will get a bottle of T5 and try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back