when will they start making batteries last longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at 2.5 years now on the batteries on my truck and I can already tell they're getting weak. I doubt they're going to start the truck when it starts getting colder without throwing extra lights and such. I got 4 years out of my oem batteries and I think I replaced them just to be safe. I'm happy to get 4 years out of batteries, but 2-3 years is ridiculous. This set of duralast golds was already warranteed and I got two new batteries for like 60 bucks, so I was like whatever. I think they only get warranteed once though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are in Texas where heat is very tough on batteries. If you want then to last longer maybe try pulling them out and using a smart charger once a month to get them closer to 100% charged. Or maybe a solar charger could be very helpful too.

I remember that for the southern states, they make a different battery than the northern states. It was something from Diehard north and Diehard south from what I recall. Not sure if Johnson Controls does that now.

Wondering if you got a battery that was designed for cooler weather and that's why it died so quickly.

but.. reading that it was from Autozone, that kind of explains everything! Seriously. I needed a new battery last year, went to Autozone and none of the batteries on the shelf were maintaining their voltage levels and they were made the same month I was checking them! So it's not like it sat around and slowly lost its charge.

I heard that Autozone was using the cheaper Johnson Controls factory than the one that's here in the US. I got mine from Advance Auto, and it was the better Johnson Controls version. And all of the batteries I found were maintaining their voltages just fine.

I got 11 years out of my original factory battery in my 2005 Tacoma. The weather here doesn't get super hot very often, or super cold so that probably helped it last so long.

As mentioned, heat is the battery killer. You also have two batteries, which doubles your chance of failure. One cell in one battery going south trashes both batteries.

I am convinced when you buy a battery at AutoZone you will buy a battery there the rest of that vehicles life. It dies just enough to give you a pro-rated discount. I bought a battery at Walmart for my Dodge because that's where it died and I ve had really good luck with it, I bought one for the Ford FX4 there too and better luck than AutoZone batteries.
The answer to your question if they will ever make a better battery- NO. Just like washers, refrigerators and appliances don't last.
We live in a disposable revolving world.

Good question for Ford - Explorer battery went dead 3 miles past B2B warranty. Dealer said sorry - Walmart said thanks

When my batteries started going south, I doped them with INOX...
http://www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx2-battery-conditioner/

and always got at least another winter out of them (I believe that you can do better if you add it new).

I've heard from an electrical engineer here at work that medicinal quality epsom salts in distilled water for the same effect.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

and always got at least another winter out of them (I believe that you can do better if you add it new).

I've heard from an electrical engineer here at work that medicinal quality epsom salts in distilled water for the same effect.

All my mates with heavy vehicles do this. Where the batteries are typically only reliable for three years, the INOX can buy another year, even two out of batteries.

And when a replacement set of four batteries is worth a couple hundred bucks, it makes perfect sense.

My 2004 Volvo XC70 has its original factory battery and it still works perfectly! I wouldn't believe it if it was not my car! 13 years and still going strong!!!!

The VPS battery in my Phaeton was installed in Dresden... 14 years and going strong!

I make a habit of charging my batteries every few months or so.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Rutgers University use to have directions on how to dope a battery with epsom salts. I got another 18 months out of one battery, so yes it works.

Some vehicles are harder on batteries than others. I think that your truck uses 2 65 series batteries, I have seen them not make 3 years often. The same battery in Ford full size cars and mini-vans has no problems, but when the Crown Vic is a cop car with all the extra electrical 'stuff', 3 years is a struggle.

"colder" in Houston? You mean the one in Texas? I recall it was always hot down there and temp issues with a battery were from the heat, not the cold.

I have great luck with agm batteries. I replaced my 7 yr old optima because I didnt want to get stuck when it did die. It was stil working fine and passed the load test. The oribital I had before it lasted 90 months.

Last edited:
OP what is your group size? Have you measured parasitic draw when the truck is "off"? Have you verified the battery charges 100% with your driving profile?

As stated, heat is a huge killer, but there are lots of wild cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back