Harvey cars parked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!!! Glad I bought a new car already this year and got my deal because deals are going g to be hard to get on new or used cars now

Last edited:
What a shame. I'm certain there are plenty that by hook or crook will find their way around the country, be misrepresented and sold to people thinking they got a good deal.

It's great for those who manufacture and sell cars I guess. Not so great for the car insurance companies and ultimately those who need it.

I seen two articles yesterday on the two places they are parking all the vehicles. Some are already on auction sites.
The used car market in TX just made a dramatic jump in prices. I have been looking at getting a car when I get back to south Texas for the winter and that idea is now probably going to be scrapped as the prices have went up about 15-20%. Probably have to jump a plane and go back up north.

I'm looking to pick up one out of Florida from a friend who buys them..

makes me a little nervous...

Its a backyard industry in south TX to buy wrecks and fix them. Was told Harlingen was the capitol of car repair. Cheap labor and lot of work gets done outside. Have watched a car get stripped, parts replaced and primed,painted and out the gate in just a couple days. With the water level being high and in the cars for days one article said that mold is horrendous.

Given the prices some of these cars are commanding at auction, many will be repaired and resold.
Many of these cars will end up being just fine for their new owners.
How much of the "flood car" phobia is real and how much of it is just an old wives tale?
I don't know, but I do know that a Corvette that brings $42K at auction ain't gonna end up as a parts car.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Given the prices some of these cars are commanding at auction, many will be repaired and resold.

Who monitors if the flooded Houston cars are being auctioned? Is it the insurance companies selling them?

I'll take a 6-speed Hemi Challenger with no sunroof in anything except red, black, or white, and a 2004-2006 883 or 1200 Sportster Roadster, please. I can even come down to get them with a truck and trailer.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Who monitors if the flooded Houston cars are being auctioned? Is it the insurance companies selling them?

Of course cars found to be total losses go to auction. Where else would they go? The insurers need to recover what they can of the payout they made to the owner, or maybe the owner's finance company. A mutual company like State Farm has a legal obligation to do so since it's owned by its insureds, very much as a publicly held company is owned by its stockholders.
The insurers send them to auction companies like Copart and their interest ends at that point. They get the proceeds net of the third party seller's fees and they have no further interest in the vehicles.
How else would anyone dispose of a total loss vehicle?

Originally Posted By: SF0059
It is a good time to be a dealership in Texas, I would imagine.

No! Reputable dealers don't want to have anything to do with reconditioned flood vehicles, and because of the loss of so many vehicles and the resulting high demand, there will be a major shortage of good used vehicles and much higher prices as a result. Used vehicle wholesale prices are already escalating substantially. Reputable dealers are NOT happy about this!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bioburner
.... Some are already on auction sites. ....

Well, yeah, of course they're sold. Do you want the rates on your car insurance to reflect that the vehicles are lost to commerce forever?

When I was involved in the auction business, insurance company cars were sold at a separate auction, separate from the usual schlock and swill, so there were no misunderstandings about what was being sold and bought, often on their own day, so the public could buy them.

May be hard to fathom for BITOG types, but cars, no matter how special fan boys think they are, are just a commodity. Period. And they are all average condition, or worse.

Update, I am still waiting on them to total my excellent condition Honda Odyssey, and give me pennies on the dollar for it.

All three of my vehicles were damaged in the flood. Two flooded out and one hit an object underwater that I could not see. Only the Odyssey had full coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back