VOA Red Line 15w40 HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks! wondering about moly in my shared motorcycle oil, like other HDEO it should be good but actually better being Ester based oil

This redline oil definitely uses less moly compared to most other redline viacosities which are usually close to 600 ppm. I think Redline focused on meeting ash level of an apo cj4 oil with this application. Most of redline oils have higher saps additive package over and above specifications with the exception of the two European 5w30 507.00 type oil and the 5w40 European acea c3 Mercedes 229.51 type oil which both could easily meet actual certifications based on notably lower additive packages.

Wow, just goes to show, in this case, hopefully there are some magic elements in the Red Line that do not show up on the UOA.
Its quite possible as the additive package is so weak that I would think it was a mistake by Blackstone, yet I know its not as the zinc/phos/calcium match up.

More or less, what i am saying is, where on earth is the Magnesium or Boron in this oil?
Most HEDOs have one or the other of both and match up with the numbers of the zinc 1000 or more.

For an HEDO its completely missing the traditional Magnesium and Boron, never saw anything like this before. (not that that means anything ha ha)

BLACKSTONE IS WRONG, THESE ARE NOT TYPICAL ADDITIVES OF AN HEDO OIL, AS THE ADDITIVES IN THIS RED LINE OIL DO NOT EXIST. (im not yelling :eek:)

Just go to the Diesel/HEDO UOA section and compare additives or go to my own UOA on Mystic 15w50 in the motorcycle UOA section, first page.

Dont misunderstand my post, if this Red line oil is any good, it just goes to show the VOA means nothing because the Red Line additive package is weak at best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Dont misunderstand my post, if this Red line oil is any good, it just goes to show the VOA means nothing because the Red Line additive package is weak at best.

I tend to agree with you on this. The Blackstone (or other consumer level) test has always seemed to me to be of limited value as a comparison tool. It can confirm initial viscosity, TBN, particle count and such. But as to how it might work in use Blackstone, et al, stop short of "deconstructing" the oil presumably due to, I'm guessing here, the legal battle with the oil companies that would ensue. The cost of going to that level is also a constraint.

The dirty little secret though is that even if the test went to that level, each time it was tested the results could, or probably would be, different. Why? We have noted here before that the formulations change all the time in response to a variety of things not least of all the cost of oil components at any given time. This is why oil companies clamor to meet a "specification" rather than competing on the bases of the recipes. They don't want you to know what is in the oil at any given time so that it can not be compared to someone else's recipe. This allows the competition to stay on a marketing claims level.

This, to me, is what makes it slightly ludicrous to argue for one motor oil of a given type over another. As I'm sure others will point out, if the oil meets a given spec, that's really all you need to know. In fact it's all you CAN know. By design.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
alarmguy said:

The dirty little secret though is that even if the test went to that level, each time it was tested the results could, or probably would be, different. Why? We have noted here before that the formulations change all the time in response to a variety of things not least of all the cost of oil components at any given time. This is why oil companies clamor to meet a "specification" rather than competing on the bases of the recipes. They don't want you to know what is in the oil at any given time so that it can not be compared to someone else's recipe. This allows the competition to stay on a marketing claims level.

This, to me, is what makes it slightly ludicrous to argue for one motor oil of a given type over another. As I'm sure others will point out, if the oil meets a given spec, that's really all you need to know. In fact it's all you CAN know. By design.

Agree, well said and I have said it before too. Choose the API class oil recommended in the owners manual and you are good to go/ really no more thought then that required other then the fun of doing what we think best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back