Wanger TQ's finally squeaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after 25k great miles my ceramic ThermoQuiets on the F150 are starting to get noisy. Honestly, its not terrible but getting pretty obvious when the brakes are cool, goes away while driving. Power and feel is still great and there is tons of meat left to them. Guess I figured this would just be a matter of time based on the reviews...

Sent a message to Wagner today, we'll see what/if they reply with. Probably shoot them a phone call early next week if no reply.

Did you install them dry? I find that even with their "patented technology" a little dab of grease on the caliper ears / pistons keeps them quiet for good. I'm currently running 55,000+ miles on a ceramic set (front and back) and they're good and quiet. I have installed them dry and had one set (semi-metallic) make a squeak every so often.

Originally Posted By: Squirrelee
Did you install them dry? I find that even with their "patented technology" a little dab of grease on the caliper ears / pistons keeps them quiet for good. I'm currently running 55,000+ miles on a ceramic set (front and back) and they're good and quiet. I have installed them dry and had one set (semi-metallic) make a squeak every so often.

THIS I have installed TQs on hundreds of cars using a little lube on caliper ears, slides and back side of the pads with no problems

I used them once or twice and found they were quiet, but the braking was definitely worse compared to the Akebono ceramics. I went back to Akebonos on all the cars I service now.

I have been using Thermoquiets on all of my vehicles for more than 10 years now and I have always been very happy with them. They have always been very quiet pads for me.

Well, just got off the line with Wagner support... because they never returned my email. To paraphrase, try replacing your abutment clips because they are probably loose, otherwise too bad. I'm sorry but it those are wearing out in 25k with tons of pad life left something is wrong there.

Guess I'll just keep running them for now. Could do a pad slap but we'll see how they do over the winter first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back