Toyota Tundra 4.6 vs. 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tossing the idea around of replacing my 20 year old Dodge Ram pickup. The rust is becoming more than I can repair.

I am looking at either a new Toyota Tundra or Chevy Silverado. I am very familiar with the Chevy engines. If I choose the Chevy I may opt for the 4.3L V6 and 2 wheel drive if the engine is smooth enough.

I do not need all the bells and whistles and am considering a base model truck. I also do not tow or need lots of horsepower. Base engines for both trucks provide the power I need.

My question is... Is the 4.6 Toyota engine as reliable and as good as the 5.7 I-force? I do all maintenance and repairs myself and like the truck, but have no knowledge of the 4.6 being as respected for longevity and reliability as the 5.7.

Is the architecture for the 4.6 the same as the 5.7 with different bore and stroke? or are they totally different engines? Also is the 4.6 the same engine that they use in the Lexus GX 460?

As far as I know the 4.6 and 5.7 get basically the same mpg but the 5.7 has quite a bit more power. If you can find an awesome deal on the 4.6 then go for it, otherwise I would personally go for the 5.7. Reliability wise I am unsure about the 4.6 but the 5.7 has more than proven its self.

If I were to buy a chevy truck it would be only in the HD 2500 or 3500 variants.

The older 4.7 V8 is as close to bulletproof as an engine can be. I have one in my 4Runner and I use 2 in an industrial application where they get worked harder than any over the road vehicle.

The 4.6 is just a de-stroked 4.7 with all Toyota's upgrades matching features on the 5.7. All V8 Toyotas use the same 3.7" dia piston. Durability for V8's can be taken as a given for any Toyota vehicle.

The 4.6/5.7L UR-series Toyota V8s are totally different than the UZ-series. The UR seems as every bit reliable and durable as the UZs. It's not as grossly overengineered as the UZ. One big plus is no timing chain, the non-Lexus car versions don't have D4-S direct/port injection.

The Lexus SUV versions are mostly the same, save for COO and PCM tuning.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The older 4.7 V8 is as close to bulletproof as an engine can be. I have one in my 4Runner and I use 2 in an industrial application where they get worked harder than any over the road vehicle.

The 4.6 is just a de-stroked 4.7 with all Toyota's upgrades matching features on the 5.7. All V8 Toyotas use the same 3.7" dia piston. Durability for V8's can be taken as a given for any Toyota vehicle.

The 4.7 is cast iron block; the 4.6 is not; they are different engine families; I gather you are indicating the 4.6 is 'like the 5.7 but sharing some of the components of the 4.7?

I'm not an expert on modern Chevy engines, but I think the only thing the new 4.3 shares with the old 4.3 is the "number".

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

The 4.6 is just a de-stroked 5.7 with all Toyota's upgrades matching features on the 5.7. All V8 Toyotas use the same 3.7" dia piston. Durability for V8's can be taken as a given for any Toyota vehicle.
fixed it for you
The 4.0/4.7 UZ motor is just a memory at this point.

I don't think any of todays trucks will last 20 years,and heaven forbid 30 or 40 (of which there are many still around).The basics of the driveline may hold up,but something technical/electronic will fail and it will be N/A...making it a lawn ornament.

I have owned a 2010 Tundra with the 4.6 and a 2014 Tundra with the 5.7. Both are thirsty engines compared to the current Ford/Chevy offerings. That being said, I would say if you plan to do any heavy towing, the 5.7 is where it is at. With the 5.7, you get the bigger axles and few other things over the 4.6.

I will also say that while on paper the 4.6 looks like a de-stroked 5.7, very few other major parts like the heads, block, water pump and etc are not interchangeable between the two. You are not going to make a 4.6 go faster throwing 5.7 parts on it. As to MPG's between the two, I maybe squeaked 1.5 MPG better with the 4.6 overall over the 5.7. Coming from a 1990's RAM 5.9, it will be an improvement, but other Ford/Chevy offerings are better in that department.

Even with 2014 Tundra reskin job, they are basically running on the same frame and drivetrain since it came out in 2007. They were bleeding edge then, now not so much.

I'd have no problem with the v6 Chevy. Remember - the new ecotec3 4.3 makes within 20 ft/lbs of torque of the 5.3 of 10 years ago, and at a lower RPM. That's pretty darn good.

It should be slightly more simple. But it does have an extra "timing" chain for a balance shaft that lives above the camshaft. Also takes heavier oil!

The 4.6 is a shorter stroke than the 5.7. This will lead to better gas mileage if you don't max the truck out in towing or high speed. Shorter stroke should also last longer theoretically. Its perceived value should also be quite a bit lower in the used market. Even though it is arguably better for the right user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back