Grainy HDLT Reflectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sled just crossed her 20th b-day (Aug 1997 factory). She's held up well and running fine. One problem I recently discovered though was how bad the HDLT reflectors were.

After obtaining new 55W H7 bulbs, I was a bit dissapointed in their performance. Unfortunately, the Narva 65W H7 bulbs have been discontinued.

I pulled both HDLT lenses to inspect the reflectors and found this:

Given the above, small wonder I was dissapointed!

New HDLT assemblies are on order.....

Update:
After having to return one assembly due to a cracked lens upon unpacking, the sled now has two bright eyes! I've moved the recently-bought Vosla H7 bulbs into the new housings and look forward to my first night-time drive with brand new reflectors!

With a new driver/old pass., the 'reach' down road was noticeable from the new assembly. Also the light was sharper with more contrast as the lens was able to direct it. On the other hand, the pass. dull reflector just produced an opaque 'fog' of light unable to be directed by that lens.

Now I need to aim both HDLTs + the newly installed fog lights.

With both reflector assemblies replaced, the difference is even more dramatic. After aiming, I've driven on them several times now at night. Light pushes very far down the road. Sharp, focused, contrasty cut-off. Broad even illumination out in front, easily illuminating closer objects. Right side road signs are illuminated far down the road. No oncoming drivers flashing me, so light is staying out of their eyes.

Click on the high-beams to reveal even more KICK down the road. When driving down hill, they illuminate enough of the opposite, ascending hill where the low-beams don't reach. Very useful as my area has lots of hills + lots of critters about at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back