Toyota Oil Filter Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I find out the relationships between Toyota oil filter numbers? It seems I often get different numbers for the same vehicle from different dealers and quite honestly, I don't always trust the parts guys.
I have come to know that things such as bypass pressure are very important.

According to the most current Toyota oil filter application chart PDF 2015-2016, my vehicle uses a 90915-YZZG1 but my dealership sold me a 90915-YZZG2.

I have been shown on other sites that the G2 replaced the G1. Ok, I am good so far. However, when I go and look up my car on the Toyota parts sites they say my car uses a D1 and that the G2 won't work.
If the G2 replaced the G1, why won't the G2 work? Why does the official Toyota PDF on oil filters 2015-2016 show a different filter that the parts stores online.

Is there a Toyota filter guru?

I checked the Toyota site I typically use (Camelback Toyota), and they say the 90915-YZZD1 has been replaced by the 90915-YZZG2. I'm not sure why your Toyota site would lead you to believe differently unless it's a glitch on their part. Use the G2 with confidence.

Also, on the Purolator, Wix, and AC Delco sites, both 90915-YZZG1/G2 and 90915-YZZD1 cross reference to the same filter - looks good from here.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. It's still very weird when I follow the flow in my OP and it gives me that particular recommendation . What got me thinking yesterday while watching the Parts Mgr was his indecisiveness while trying to figure which filter to get me. He seemed very unsure...

I think Toyota changes up the part numbers just to keep people confused so they always buy from the dealers.

Last edited:
The G1/G2 series are Puro filters, there was a Denso/Purolator joint venture that supplied most of Toyota's filters for US production. Not sure if Mann-Hummel decided to end it.

I know someone at the local dealer and he says there is interchangeability between the 2 smaller spin-ons(F1/F2 which are PH4386/PH4967 sized) and the 2 bigger ones(B9/D3 but both are PH3614, however the D3 is closer to an FL400S). They won't officially support that for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: nthach
The G1/G2 series are Puro filters, there was a Denso/Purolator joint venture that supplied most of Toyota's filters for US production. Not sure if Mann-Hummel decided to end it.

I know someone at the local dealer and he says there is interchangeability between the 2 smaller spin-ons(F1/F2 which are PH4386/PH4967 sized) and the 2 bigger ones(B9/D3 but both are PH3614, however the D3 is closer to an FL400S). They won't officially support that for obvious reasons.

I ran a PH4967 sized filter in my Avalon in a pinch for about two days after an oil change. It really is too small for that motor, which takes the PH3614 size (or bigger if you wish)

nthach,

Help me understand what you are trying to tell me with this statement.

The D1 and G2 are interchangeable, use one or the other, all the same except where it's made and the design. Does the G2 have louvers instead of round holes in the center tube?

It may be because Denso Thailand is having a hard time producing enough filters, is my guess why the G2 is a preplacement for the D1

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The D1 and G2 are interchangeable, use one or the other, all the same except where it's made and the design. Does the G2 have louvers instead of round holes in the center tube?

It may be because Denso Thailand is having a hard time producing enough filters, is my guess why the G2 is a preplacement for the D1

The G2 has round holes in the tubes, made in USA, and red/pink silicone valve. ON the top of the canister it has stamped "F07J31E2G"

Originally Posted By: Gebo

nthach,

Help me understand what you are trying to tell me with this statement.

The cars that use the small 4-cylinder F1/F2 filters can use either one, space dependent. The D3 V8 filter can be used on B9 V6/I6 applications. Don't use the F1/F2 on the bigger engines.

"......bypass pressure are very important"

Sorry, what is your rationale behind this statement?

I would correct it to say: "things such as bypass pressure are really not very important at all"

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

I ran a PH4967 sized filter in my Avalon in a pinch for about two days after an oil change. It really is too small for that motor, which takes the PH3614 size (or bigger if you wish)

I should have clarified that. But then again, Nissan runs a thimble on their V8s. What I meant to say is the 4-cylinder filters can be used on most 4-cylinder Toyotas, with caution to clearance.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

"......bypass pressure are very important"

Sorry, what is your rationale behind this statement?

I would correct it to say: "things such as bypass pressure are really not very important at all"

Maybe I should have said, "I have come to believe..."
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

I should have clarified that. But then again, Nissan runs a thimble on their V8s. What I meant to say is the 4-cylinder filters can be used on most 4-cylinder Toyotas, with caution to clearance.

Understood...

I like the looks of that gasket. Reminds me of the Toyota filters we saw back around 2000. The filters that appeared briefly and then disappeared forever, the ones that had the funky foam element.

Of which I have 24 of those old funky ones
grin.gif

There's gold in them thar filters! Hey, I have some 95-00 LS400 parts, want to trade? I've got tons of stuff... sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, four piston calipers, four piston caliper rebuild kit from Japan, front rotor, new pads for the one rotor (long story),.. an ECU (from a '95 so that won't work for you), trans filter (A340E so that probably won't work either cause you got a five speed), nice center console shifter surround big wooden piece with ashtray, .. some leftover parts from my 1UZ-FE supercharger setup (boy did that car fly) ..., umm.. I have a key and keyfob somewhere
lol.gif
it fits a '96! The keyfob may be universal.. sigh. I know none of this stuff interests you. Just wanted to tell you that I'm jealous of your filters, Sir.
Edit: i have a stock Pioneer stereo too haha

This ^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back