6.5" Pads on Porter Cable 7424XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did an order with Autogeek and got some new pads. I ordered 6.5" pads by mistake and was wondering if anyone successfully uses them with a 7424? They're big enough against the backing plate that I'm not sure the entire pad will be effective due to lack of pressure/support. I think it would be OK with a LSP but not polish. Thoughts? Thanks!

The larger pad affords the finish additional protection from the backing plate especially when working on curved sections. IIRC, the Porter-Cable uses different counterweights for 5 inch diameter pads than 6/6.5 inch.

You can try it on a little 2x2 area and see how it does. I think you might be ok since you probably only have micro-scratches to deal with knowing you.

The only downsides I can think of are getting it into tight places and loosing some speed (I think?), but should be just fine.

Thanks, fellas. I'll keep these and if I want to switch back will do it in a year or so when it's time to order new pads (although I'm still using some pads that are way older than that).

I pretty much use 5.5" pads on my Griots ROP, and w/ the right backing plate, you get the exact same protection from backing plate to pad as using 6.5" pads...just sayin. You can use 6.5" pads just fine, but I find you get way better correction using the smaller diameter pads with smaller machines.

Just try it. The PC is more of a wax spreader, imo, I actually bought a smaller backing plate and took mine down in size.

I'd try it and see. You'll get more coverage but I don't know that the PC will have enough juice to correct as quickly with the larger pad. Again, try and see how you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back