VPN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can you tell me about VPNs? Good, bad, necessary? Looking at Keenow. Would one interfer with my security cameras?

I use Betternet. It helped me stay connected while overseas, where blocks were placed on many social media sites.

I use it, or more specifically I use it on my work computer. It's a must if you are doing anything important on the internet over WiFi that isn't directly from your work or house. I can't even access our corporate home page without going through VPN anywhere except at work.

Nord VPN is what I settled on after looking at the pros and cons with most of the big players in the field. Here is a great article Link to article It gives you a great grasp of the pros and cons of VPNs. I am required by my employer to run a VPN for all my personal electronic equipment (cell phone, laptop and desktop computers). Nord Works for me but you may find another that suits you better. Just be wary of free VPNs, they are in business for a reason. How do they make a profit? Some conspiracy theorists think that some of the free VPNs out there are shell companies run by government entities so they can track their citizens but I'm not even going to go down that road. :)

Use it when I am doing things that my ISP would not want me to do, or when I want a different physical location so they cannot adjust my prices when I'm shopping. I was in a physical store once, their website change the price I'm looking at on the spot to match the store price so I won't price match to the lower online price. When I got home it goes back to the normal online prices.

Your big data is selling you out.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
what are you trying to use a VPN for? Is this for your phone or home?

home internet

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I use PIA, Private Internet Access, and have no complaints whatsoever.

And happy birthday to you!

Thank you sir!!

To prevent Hollywood from finding out who you are so they can sue you.
To prevent online merchant from pricing you differently because of who you are (Target does this), or the inventory level based on your location (Amazon does this).
To stream Netflix internationally.
To get out of the Great Firewall of China.

I'm sure there are more but that's what I can think of for the typical home users.

Happy birthday bdcardinal

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pkunk
What can you tell me about VPNs? Good, bad, necessary? Looking at Keenow. Would one interfer with my security cameras?

they can't really mess with cameras. they're just there to mess up the data in transit by adding junk to it. that's what "encrypts" the data so people inbetween can't snoop your stuff. this encryption is handy for browsing when you wanna keep the data or history private; secures from phishing in public places if you're using free wifi and may be useful with transactions and all. i see people all over the webs trying to confuse proxies like hss and hma with vpns like ivacy and express but they're both different because vpns offer encryption while proxies do not and usually just assign a new ip address.

I don't know about VPN's interfering with your cameras, but if you want to be anonymous on the web for security purposes and won't be doing anything illegal, then a VPN would be good and necessary. Also, considering subscribing to reputable, paid VPN's to prevent your data from being sold, which is a gamble you'll make if you'd rather go for free ones.

Last edited:
I've been using IPVanish for my VPN for years. They are fast, reliable, have servers in multiple countries, their software for folks that don't want to program the settings into a router etc. is fantastic and you can pick the fastest server based on your area and they also have 0 records and guarantee it. They also register as ISP's instead of a VPN service so that Netflix and others can't tell you are using them. At least not to date anyway. It allows me safe protected downloads and it also lets me watch Netflix US without the darn geo restrictions.

I actually have it programmed into my PFsense router so all my traffic is anonymous and looks like it's originating from the U.S.

They also have 256 bit encryption.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

To prevent online merchant from pricing you differently because of who you are (Target does this),
or the inventory level based on your location (Amazon does this).

I'm sure there are more but that's what I can think of for the typical home users.

Happy birthday bdcardinal

^^that^^ ... and lets not forget, all your computer information/history being packaged up and sold to the highest bidder.
Never mind security loopholes.

Bottom line VPN helps deliver security and privacy, remember, just a decade or two ago, you pretty much had a private life but again, agree with BDcardinal, online retailers are now using your private information as a profit machine for them.

Many do not know, Opera Browser for Windows has a free VPN built in. I have learned to really like Opera on my Android phone and has become my browser of choice for my Windows computers.
Ok, so reading up on the free opera VPN which has been working flawlessly and no slowdowns that I notice. Its not a real, real, real, true VPN but for free its way better then nothing. Once you download the browser, you do need to go into the settings to turn it on if you want it.

Ok, back to VPNs, for the first time and only happened in the last 4 weeks, I subscribed to a VPN, this was after the whole equifax thing and sick of people making profits off my personal information and just the whole wild west feeling of the internet, so why not just take a few steps to maybe not become a victim.

I can load it on up to five devices. looks like a rock solid VPN based in Switzerland. Its called VPNSecure, global VPN service, bough a special deal for lifetime subscription, saved $100s but I do not see that deal anyplace around.

This is the company, click

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Many do not know, Opera Browser for Windows has a free VPN built in. I have learned to really like Opera on my Android phone and has become my browser of choice for my Windows computers.
Ok, so reading up on the free opera VPN which has been working flawlessly and no slowdowns that I notice. Its not a real, real, real, true VPN but for free its way better then nothing. Once you download the browser, you do need to go into the settings to turn it on if you want it.

FYI, I have not done much research on my end, but Opera was acquired by a Chinese company in 2016. I do not know if there are any real impacts. Need to do more research.

I've been using Opera since then and no issues. It actually has a VPN built in for browsing.

Also my Malwarebytes hasn't gone off to tell me the browser is transmitting anything like it normally does when I pick-up bug laced stuff in the browser.

Originally Posted By: SR20DE
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

FYI, I have not done much research on my end, but Opera was acquired by a Chinese company in 2016. I do not know if there are any real impacts. Need to do more research.

Yes, I know that feeling and dont disagree with you maybe in the future still based in Norway though and honestly, we are all typing on Chinese computers right now. I was just throwing it out there as a better then nothing thing, anything free comes at a cost and even costly things come at a cost if not careful.

If real concerned pay for a vpn such as secure.vpn based in Switzerland which in my limited research shows it as a global world wide VPN with its servers based in a mountain in Switzerland and very solid claims of not maintaining any data.
So far it has been good, im just tired of all the [censored] being delivered to my computer and daily breaches of one thing or another.

I dont know much about VPNs and only recently since the big data breach started taking it more serious but this scure.vpn seems like the real deal and I bought a lifetime subscription at a great price so what the heck.

Click, this is who I am using

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back