Why are newer cars using thinner motor oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
User Clevy ran 0w-40 in his 5w-20 spec Charger and was able to get a code tripped for improper viscosity when it was below -30C I believe once. That was the only time I am aware that he experienced it.

The system is not that sensitive, it can't be given the range of the SAE grades.

Regarding the whole argument with the 5.7L and the 6.4L, the engines are extremely similar and the system operates in the same manner. There are accommodations made to the programming for the 6.4L engines for the 0w-40 spec.

Also, this may be found as amusing: The 5.7L and 6.4L truck engines use the exact same lifter part #'s. However they spec very different oils.
See below snap from the 2014 RAM 1500/2500/3500 manual:

I have not been able to find the SRT lifter part # as of yet, but I can probably find it at some point today.

Just confirmed, the 5.7L MDS and 6.4L (SRT) MDS engines use the same lifters.

Quote:

LIFTER. Front, Rear. Hydraulic Roller Deactivating. Yoke.
Part Number: 05038788AC ; 05038788AA; 05038788AB; 05038683AA; 53021573BC
[NHA], Crew Cab, Front Yoke, Rear Yoke, Use 03/16/2015 And After, Use For Production Date 03/16/2015 And After, Use For Production Date 03/16/2016 And After, Use Up To And Including Production Date 03/15/2015, Yoke.

They also use the same solenoids:
Quote:
SOLENOID. Multiple Displacement.
Part Number: 53022298AA

Those sunsabitches!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
User Clevy ran 0w-40 in his 5w-20 spec Charger and was able to get a code tripped for improper viscosity when it was below -30C I believe once. That was the only time I am aware that he experienced it.

The system is not that sensitive, it can't be given the range of the SAE grades.

Regarding the whole argument with the 5.7L and the 6.4L, the engines are extremely similar and the system operates in the same manner. There are accommodations made to the programming for the 6.4L engines for the 0w-40 spec.

Also, this may be found as amusing: The 5.7L and 6.4L truck engines use the exact same lifter part #'s. However they spec very different oils.
See below snap from the 2014 RAM 1500/2500/3500 manual:

I have not been able to find the SRT lifter part # as of yet, but I can probably find it at some point today.
Is this from a Canadian manual? And I guess we know who makes the Mopar oil.

Last edited:
I am sorry. I thought this site was where average Joe's shared information and tips and about products and what works better and how to get more mileage. Sharing experience and what works and what doesn't. If we all just do as the manual says that eliminates alot of posts on MMO or any fuel additives, not permitted by manual. The point that we are lucky enough to even get to share information with people from other countries is Great. So what does it take for people to realize it is a Cafe standard and not for engine tolerances or longitivity and two countries don't get different cars. I think what drives me is not you follow the manual so religiously it's that you actually believe 15w40 and thick is don't pump below 0 and you need required 0 weight oils based on no experience, just what you read. Open up your minds.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just confirmed, the 5.7L MDS and 6.4L (SRT) MDS engines use the same lifters.

Quote:

LIFTER. Front, Rear. Hydraulic Roller Deactivating. Yoke.
Part Number: 05038788AC ; 05038788AA; 05038788AB; 05038683AA; 53021573BC
[NHA], Crew Cab, Front Yoke, Rear Yoke, Use 03/16/2015 And After, Use For Production Date 03/16/2015 And After, Use For Production Date 03/16/2016 And After, Use Up To And Including Production Date 03/15/2015, Yoke.

They also use the same solenoids:
Quote:
SOLENOID. Multiple Displacement.
Part Number: 53022298AA

Yep, that's what my researches found too...
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Honda doesn't have these issues, here's my 1.5T with over sized tires so add 2mpg. and above I-system speeds on twice the spec viscosity...

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Honda doesn't have these issues, here's my 1.5T with over sized tires so add 2mpg. and above I-system speeds on twice the spec viscosity...

Not sure what your anecdote is qualifying
21.gif
Seems no different than mine about user Clevy who did similar with his Charger.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
minimal risk ignoring the silly CAFE w20 motor oil spec.

Well I think that applies to both applications quite frankly; most of them even. An engine simply cannot be that sensitive to viscosity and survive anything close to resembling winter, which has a much greater impact on actual viscosity than the difference between grades at moderate ambient and 100C.

It's CAFE driven

I'm not sure, or anyone else for that matter, what the balance is between chemistry and viscosity is in the valvetrain but the BOI testing requirements for camshaft wear is not required if the exchanged Base oil is > in viscosity. I'm certainly not the one to comment on this intelligently, like some of, you but it seems to me viscosity is a key driver in wear protection in this area.

Yes, that is an entirely logical thought process.

If add pack a) in 5W20 meets sequence IVA, then it qualifies all thicker blends.
If add pack b) in 5W30 meets sequence IVA, then it qualifies a 40, but not a 20.

For API to make that distinction clearly indicates that they are aware of the behaviour.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yes, that is an entirely logical thought process.

If add pack a) in 5W20 meets sequence IVA, then it qualifies all thicker blends.
If add pack b) in 5W30 meets sequence IVA, then it qualifies a 40, but not a 20.

For API to make that distinction clearly indicates that they are aware of the behaviour.

Glad you agree. For some unfathomable, illogical & unexplainable reason I've caught the oil bug - I've got files coming out of my ying yang. With that, the one thing that always stands out is a higher base oil viscosity is probably better. Hence, that's why I use a 10W oil.

Overkill, it's interesting how Chrysler uses the same wording based upon "recommended" for both the viscosity and the brand. So, if a 20 grade isn't really recommended, but is essential, is a SOPUS product similarly essential?
whistle.gif

The MDS system has been the product of much speculation since 2004. It has proven to be very tolerant of oil grade. The P01521 code mentioned frequently almost never occurs, and the engines run well on almost any oil. The production numbers are HUGE, Chrysler has made many millions of 5.7's in tons of different specific outputs and vehicle configurations.

All you statisticians know that there are bound to be a few failures in those numbers. But no one has ever provided any significant evidence that a failure was oil related. 5.7/6.1/6.4 engines share their basic design and differ only slightly from each other.

Oil is simply not an issue with these, not at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back