2018 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother just bought a 2017 F-150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost with tow pkg. & 10 spd. I know the engine has been reworked & now employs 2 injectors (one port & one direct) for each cylinder. I don't know much about the other changes. Has the sump capacity increased? Anyway he's wondering about the better oil choices for this vehicle. If he wants to use an oil that's passed LSPI testing would he be best off going with a Dexos 1 gen 2 oil ? P.S. He will be towing a trailer approx 8500 lbs Thanks.

Given that it's still under warranty, I would recommend a lube that meets the spec in the manual. There are a lot of lubes that meet that spec, BTW. Any of them are going to be satisfactory.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
My brother just bought a 2017 F-150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost with tow pkg. & 10 spd. I know the engine has been reworked & now employs 2 injectors (one port & one direct) for each cylinder. I don't know much about the other changes. Has the sump capacity increased? Anyway he's wondering about the better oil choices for this vehicle. If he wants to use an oil that's passed LSPI testing would he be best off going with a Dexos 1 gen 2 oil ? P.S. He will be towing a trailer approx 8500 lbs Thanks.

As far as I know, dexos1 Gen 2 is the only standard in use now that includes an LSPI test. I would guess it shouldn't be hard to find a Gen 2 licensed oil that also meets Ford's requirements for that engine, as an example Valvoline Synpower and M1 5W30 meets Ford's WSS-M2C946-A as well as dexos1 Gen 2. I have seen jugs of that Valvoline at WM with the Gen 2 logo and I can't imagine that M1 will be far behind.

Last edited:
Its a 2017, the edit button vanished. I thought Ford changed the spec to 5w-30 for 2017? It'll be interesting to see if the new design with one port injector dumps less fuel into the oil. Is there any evidence that PUP handles elevated temps better than other synthetics ?

Originally Posted By: johnD2
2017 or 2018 ? The 18's recommend 5w-30.

That's interesting ...... but I wouldn't be surprised if Enginneers had the final say in oil recommendation...... eventually.
But alas, xW20 recommendation is policy-driven in the States.

The 2017 SHO with the 3.5 EB has a steel pan and traditional drainplug interestingly enough.

Last edited:
I agree with earlier post. First and foremost, get an oil that meets Ford's WSS-M2C946-A . Then get an oil that meets DEXOs 1 Gen 2. It shouldn't ne to hard to find. Most name brand synthetics meet both.

My 3/11 built 6.7 PSD had the same plug and reinforced plastic pan. The first three times I changed the oil I made a huge mess. At almost 80k miles (5k oci) Ive never had an issue with the o rings or the pan. I doubt the original plug will still be there at 200k miles and ill buy an extra plug to keep on hand for when it fails.

All the 2016 2.7 eb's in the fleet where I work have the plastic plug too. Most of them around 25_35k miles and high idle hours. No issues yet. Ive grown to appreciate not needing a tool to remove the plugs. I dont really like the cannister filters or the long drain times on the 2.7's but they're new to me and I'm getting used to them and apparently the way of the future.

You all are correct 2018 , 5w-30 for the ecoboost , 5w-20 for the 5.0 (8.8 qts) btw.

They bumped up the capacity on the 5.0? It was 7.5 prior.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
You all are correct 2018 , 5w-30 for the ecoboost , 5w-20 for the 5.0 (8.8 qts) btw.

They bumped up the capacity on the 5.0? It was 7.5 prior.

Yes , it was 7.7 before , now 8.8 qt. I wonder if the pan was re-designed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back