Tire Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to help a friend get new tires onto their Elantra; I think it's a base model 2016, give or take (manual transmission, so it's gotta be basest of base). Will nail down tire size later on today. I want to give my usual recommendation for RT43's, but want to make sure I give an unbiased opinion. I think he drives a lot, perhaps 30k/year; car is in NH and will deal with winter. I think this is a 195/65R15 tire, so Michelin might be reasonably priced. I suspect he won't be using snow tires so I'd like to err on the side of snow traction (I'll recommend snow tires but...). Also, waiting for Black Friday is out of the question, as he has one bald tire.

Cooper CS5, Hankook 727, General RT43, Continental TrueContact (PureContact? not sure on difference?), Michelin Defender. Anything else?

I think the 727's are getting old in tooth, but IIRC they used to be well recommended. CS5 is a favorite here I know, as is the RT43 (my favorite); not sure on the last two.

I insisted on putting RT43s on my daughter's Impreza a few days after we bought it new, as a student she can stay home during big storms or else I would have insisted on snow tires. They have worked very well for her, but I don't have any experience with any of the other tires you mentioned.
FWIW, Consumer Reports gave the T rated RT43s better winter scores than the higher speed rated versions of that tire.

Yeah, I had recently seen the bit about T vs H, will make sure I recommend that, if he goes that way.

If he's a annual high mileage driver I'd suggest the Michelin Defender. If not I'd go with a cheaper tire because he'll never get the value wear wise out of the Michelin. That has always been my problem so I went with the Hankook's and have been very happy with them.

All I have bought is the Generals since I found them. I am probably at 16 or 18 straight now on various vehicles, we just put two badly needed ones on the front of my son's girlfriend's badly neglected Cobalt.

I think this is one of those deals where you don't need to do the research, you already know the answer. The Generals fall into the sweet spot of value, performance and longevity that make them just about impossible to beat IMO.

I had 727s and never really cared for them. Personally it would be between RT43s and the Contis. Leaning Contis. They are supposed to be a suburb tire all around

I had the twin RT43 from Walmart called Exclaim HPX 205/50R 17 installed on my Impreza on June 29th. No complaints after 7,000 miles. They were $76.×× each using a family member discount. Not a bad price for a 700 A A rated tire.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Go for Michelin Defenders if he drives alot or a similar high mileage rated tire.

Agreed +1

I recommend the Conti TrueContact, which is made in USA in 195/65R15. That's what I have on my Corolla and though it's early days, so far they are great. Winter ratings are excellent. I also had a good experience with the H727 on my Saturn years ago, but all else equal I would go with the Contis.

Note that if his Elantra has the optional 16s (205/55R16) the OE speed rating is H, so some tires shops will not install a T-rated tire such as several of the ones mentioned here.

Originally Posted By: supton
Are the Defenders better than Primacy?

Primacy is out, Premier is in.

Whether Premier is better than Defender depends on your definition of “better”.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: supton
Are the Defenders better than Primacy?

Primacy is out, Premier is in.

Whether Premier is better than Defender depends on your definition of “better”.

Primacy were miserable, 30k and worn out, and the only tire I've had that did better in snow after being half worn. Awful tire. I guess they were ok in rain, and had wet traction to the end (ran to 40k, way past where I should have), wore nice and rode well. But man, scariest things I've ever had in snow.

Last edited:
Defender is one of the best overall tires IMHO. They have great longevity (90k miles according to Consumer Reports) and quiet ride. Good braking. Just don't use them on a race track.

True contact's hands down. 90k tire and are amazing in the snow in the winter. Ive had them on my malibu for 12k so far and still have 9/32 on them. I also had the same continentals on my previous 2010 impala and they were amazing. They get a tire rotation with the next oil change later this month. I work in a shop and i see a lot of ppl come in for a tread adjustment on the defender tires way early cause they Prematurely wear out.

Last edited:
The new Defender T&H series is supposed to remedy the longevity issue so IMO you might have to purchase on faith if you're looking for 75K miles out of them at that price point. I don't have any direct experience with them other than two people I know ( who aren't aggressive drivers ) getting considerably less than the tread life rating.

I am running Conti PureContacts on my E550 and while a different class of car, that tire is pretty well rated for inclement weather on TireRack. 70k warranty. They're kind of loud on dry pavement, but not like Nokian WR type all seasons.

Based on what I'm reading, Kumho Solus TA11, Continental PureContact or General RT43 is what I'll recommend. I haven't used the CS5 but IIRC RT43 was better in snow so I'll recommend RT43 over that; Conti's seem well liked and Kumho seems to have decent reviews. Too much bad press on Michelin (along with personal experience).

195/65-15

For an all-season in NH, get something with the mountain-and-snowflake symbol. Sometimes they're called "all weather" tires, basically winter tires that can be used year-round.

Goodyear just released their Assurance WeatherReady, which will be available in the required size soon. If it doesn't come out by the time you need them, there are a few other good choices out there, like the Vredestein Quatrac 5, Nokian WRG3, and Toyo Celsius.

Anybody in New England or Upstate NY that can only use one set of tires year-round should get one of mountain-and-snowflake "all weather" tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back