Such a thing as universal 2 stroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sick of having three different gas cans for lawn equipment, chainsaw and my boat. Anyone make a "universal" 2 stroke oil I can run in air cooled engines and water cooled mariner outboard that is of good quality?

I can't see that a Universal is impossible...but it would be a compromise in all three areas.

If you mean universal in specification AND mix rate, then I think that you are SOOL...

I used TCW-3 at 25:1 in everything I had, for 20+ years, and twice had the spark catcher on the weedwhacker gum up. I don't consider that a failure, as the crosshatch was still on the bore after 15 years.

I dropped the weedwhaker to valvoline racing...just because it was on special.

http://www.amref.com/Media/Files/bp_pb/7253_BP_Low_Pour_Universal_2Stroke_PB.pdf

try that ... 25:1

Interesting that it has viscosity of 6.7@ 100C and they still claim that you can mix it @1:100
eek.gif

While Amsoil's Saber is recommended for hand held air cooled equipment, I also used it in my 50hp Evinrude for 12 years, all at 100-1 mix ratio. I use it in my chainsaw, weed whip, leaf blower as well.
Saber Saber

I'm with Shannow, I think if you mix around 30:1 and don't have highly stressed engines, you probably will never have an oil related failure using almost any 2t oil in most 2t motors.
If you've got motors with powervalve exhaust ports, or are running a small pro chainsaw hard in the summer, you could run into some issues with using lower quality oil of the wrong type.
This year I'm running 94 octane with JASO-FC or FD 2t oil at 30:1 in all my 2t stuff as the dirt bike need this and the weed wacker and saw use only a small fraction of what the bike uses. My outboard is a 40 year old 9.9 so its not too picky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I have used TCW-3 marine oil in my outboard and chainsaw without any problems for 30 years.

Same here, actually over 30 years. I've used the same stuff in all my air and liquid cooled motocross bikes also. Everything gets the same oil, and I have never had an oil related failure from anything.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I can't see that a Universal is impossible...but it would be a compromise in all three areas.

If you mean universal in specification AND mix rate, then I think that you are SOOL...

I used TCW-3 at 25:1 in everything I had, for 20+ years, and twice had the spark catcher on the weedwhacker gum up. I don't consider that a failure, as the crosshatch was still on the bore after 15 years.

I dropped the weedwhaker to valvoline racing...just because it was on special.

http://www.amref.com/Media/Files/bp_pb/7253_BP_Low_Pour_Universal_2Stroke_PB.pdf

try that ... 25:1

I wasn't educated on 2 stroke oils - I thought it was all the same. I ran TCW-3 in my 2 stroke generator because I thought it was "better". It wasn't happy, that's for sure. Engine would start spark knocking after 20 or 30 minutes of run time.

Motul 710 is about as close as I have ever found a universal 2-stroke oil. If you can find it locally for less than $12/L, go for it
smile.gif

Of course I have no issues running Merc Outboard oil in everything by the high strung saws
laugh.gif

Last edited:
But the thing is to find a non ash TCW3 that also rates high on air cooled land equpipment. Anyone? It would be a good solution for the one can household.

like others, I also had some problem running shell TCW3 in a string trimmer, kind of gummed up and made the plug short out in only like 20 liters of fuel.

Ok, a google search gives us one option at least: Schaeffers!
9006 SYNTHETIC 2-CYCLE RACING OIL
NMMA TC-W3, JASO FC AND JASO FD
ISO-L-EGC AND ISO-L-EGD

Originally Posted By: lars11
Ok, a google search gives us one option at least: Schaeffers!
9006 SYNTHETIC 2-CYCLE RACING OIL
NMMA TC-W3, JASO FC AND JASO FD
ISO-L-EGC AND ISO-L-EGD

OK, I gotta look into this one
laugh.gif

Well my son ran out of the Yamalube he always uses in his YZ125 and bought a bottle of 2cycle Pennzoil at walmart to keep riding and same day the motor died....the piston had a chunk taking off. This was the wrong oil to use in a hard working dirt bike motor and it cost him $$$ to repair. I don't think there is a universal 2 cycle oil that actually meets every spec for every motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back