Fumoto Valve, near disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a Fumoto valve on my Sierra for last few years/70,000 miles. The drain on the pan doesn't stick below the undercarriage so the odds of something hitting and opening it are pretty slim. I installed mainly so I could attach a hose so I could drain into a container easier. I usually change the oil when it's warm. When using the stock drain plug, oil would come out fast and shoot way over to the side. You would have to have the drain pan really close to the plug or the oil would miss and make a mess. Another nice feature of the valve is it makes it much easier to draw a sample for analysis as you can open the lever just a little and fill the container up slower.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I never understood why anyone would want a Fumoto valve. I mean, you add obvious dangers of the thing getting hit, add more chances of leaks all for a for maybe 2 minutes saved on an oil change because you don't need to remove a drain plug and then you actually lose time because it flows slower than with the plug removed. I like to see the drain plug and wipe it clean during an oil change and most are magnetic which I prefer over a non magnetic Fumuto. I understand it may be cleaner to drain the pan but you only have to "suffer" thru a messy oil change a few times a year.

I have posted this opinion many times. I consider the Fumoto valve a solution looking for a problem.

Well, if you read through this thread it appears that the searched for problems have been found for several people. There are many legitimate reasons that people use them. If you don't have that type of scenario with your vehicle that's great...but they can work very well for people who have particular issues involving access, safety, and other things that are made harder with a standard plug. So, falling back on "a solution looking for a problem" is really just a combination of pontificating and patting yourself on the back if it provides an actual solution for others.

Whenever the topic of Fumoto valves comes up I always think that it's a neat idea, but ultimately I never end up convinced that the valve would provide any appreciable benefits for me.

It's good to know that such a product exists and I would not hesitate to use it in an application that would truly benefit from one. For my current fleet though, drain plugs work fine.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
I've had a Fumoto valve on my Sierra for last few years/70,000 miles. The drain on the pan doesn't stick below the undercarriage so the odds of something hitting and opening it are pretty slim. I installed mainly so I could attach a hose so I could drain into a container easier. I usually change the oil when it's warm. When using the stock drain plug, oil would come out fast and shoot way over to the side. You would have to have the drain pan really close to the plug or the oil would miss and make a mess. Another nice feature of the valve is it makes it much easier to draw a sample for analysis as you can open the lever just a little and fill the container up slower.

Yep-the 5.3 drain plugs will shoot oil all the way over to the passenger front tire. It can make a mess.

I recently installed one on my mustang. The drain hole is above the bottom of the pan. The only way something is hitting it is if the pain is crushed in the process. I installed it because the drain pan is aluminum, so put this in once and no chance of wrecking the pan threads.

I would not put one of these on a truck or any vehicle I would take off paved road. That's just silly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I never understood why anyone would want a Fumoto valve. I mean, you add obvious dangers of the thing getting hit, add more chances of leaks all for a for maybe 2 minutes saved on an oil change because you don't need to remove a drain plug and then you actually lose time because it flows slower than with the plug removed. I like to see the drain plug and wipe it clean during an oil change and most are magnetic which I prefer over a non magnetic Fumuto. I understand it may be cleaner to drain the pan but you only have to "suffer" thru a messy oil change a few times a year.

I have posted this opinion many times. I consider the Fumoto valve a solution looking for a problem.

Well, if you read through this thread it appears that the searched for problems have been found for several people. There are many legitimate reasons that people use them. If you don't have that type of scenario with your vehicle that's great...but they can work very well for people who have particular issues involving access, safety, and other things that are made harder with a standard plug. So, falling back on "a solution looking for a problem" is really just a combination of pontificating and patting yourself on the back if it provides an actual solution for others.

You are right. I retract my statement. Glad others are benefitting from the Fumoto.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I recently installed one on my mustang. The drain hole is above the bottom of the pan. The only way something is hitting it is if the pain is crushed in the process. I installed it because the drain pan is aluminum, so put this in once and no chance of wrecking the pan threads.

I would not put one of these on a truck or any vehicle I would take off paved road. That's just silly.

I think that is a very good position to take. The valve has a wide use case where it's very beneficial but it's not for every application.
Use with common sense.

I have 4 vehicles. 3 of them have fumotos. 2 of those have been on the cars for 12-13 years. The one that doesn't have a fumoto has the drain plug on the very bottom of the pan and is quite exposed. I didn't feel comfortable putting one on it. On the others, it is coming off of the back side of the pan and is protected.

For me, it is just less messy. Also, I don't have to worry with purchasing crush washers or cross-threading or over-tightening a drain plug. I've never had a leak and never had a malfunction. I've drive off-road many times. I'm not saying a problem couldn't happen, but it isn't something that is likely enough to concern me.

To each their own. It makes oil changes less messy and more convenient for me.

Whatever, it is one data point that will probably be amplified and quoted for the next 30 years. There is more Quickie Lube horror stories that are provable than inadvertent Fumoto valve actuation.

All this thread does is given validation to most of the naysayers that were never in the game with one installed to begin with and is not going to suddenly change the ones who have been running them for years with no issue.

I had one on my 02 Toyota Tacoma for 8 years. Protected by a skid plate. The CRV has one and its protected by the oil pan. I try to mount them in such a way that the left lever is facing forward. So if anything we're to hit it it would push the lever down. No the 15 Tacoma won't get one since the pan isn't protected.

Anyone who's ever changed oil on a Cummins diesel will know why the Fumoto valve is popular. The big diameter oil drain plug is right in the middle of the pan. When you remove the plug there are 12 quarts of hot, black oil that come rushing out. The first time I changed oil on my Dodge Ram I used a flimsy 4-gal drain pan with an integral screen that is supposed to capture the plug. When the oil came rushing out it hit the screen and splashed everywhere! The drain pan probably captured about half of it and the rest was all over my driveway, tires, and me.

At the next oil change I installed a Fumoto valve. Draining the oil took about 10x longer, but it was so neat and tidy. There was even a guy on a Dodge Ram forum who took pictures of himself changing oil wearing a tuxedo for dramatic effect. I used the Fumoto valve for several years but then went back to the regular drain plug. I had a mental picture of the bottom of the oil pan accumulating more crud over time because the valve would prevent the bottom 3/16" or so from draining. Now I'm smarter about the equipment and procedure for changing oil so I'm not recreating the Exxon Valdez in my driveway every year.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Anyone who's ever changed oil on a Cummins diesel will know why the Fumoto valve is popular. The big diameter oil drain plug is right in the middle of the pan. When you remove the plug there are 12 quarts of hot, black oil that come rushing out. The first time I changed oil on my Dodge Ram I used a flimsy 4-gal drain pan with an integral screen that is supposed to capture the plug. When the oil came rushing out it hit the screen and splashed everywhere! The drain pan probably captured about half of it and the rest was all over my driveway, tires, and me.

At the next oil change I installed a Fumoto valve. Draining the oil took about 10x longer, but it was so neat and tidy. There was even a guy on a Dodge Ram forum who took pictures of himself changing oil wearing a tuxedo for dramatic effect. I used the Fumoto valve for several years but then went back to the regular drain plug. I had a mental picture of the bottom of the oil pan accumulating more crud over time because the valve would prevent the bottom 3/16" or so from draining. Now I'm smarter about the equipment and procedure for changing oil so I'm not recreating the Exxon Valdez in my driveway every year.

Same here, I save my empty jugs, drain directly into them vis a short clear hose.
Not a drop on the sacred concrete driveway.

I believe Fumoto tells you to mount the lever facing the rear of the car. I have one on my Corolla and have had them on other cars with no problems.

I never understand these posts. Kinda like early 20th century aversion to automation!

Have you read any of the posts proving its worth? Seriously, I can change the oil in my condo lot without any tools at all! I have zero real cleanup.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I never understand these posts. Kinda like early 20th century aversion to automation!

Have you read any of the posts proving its worth? Seriously, I can change the oil in my condo lot without any tools at all! I have zero real cleanup.

Take a few minutes and read the entire thread. I retracted this post and said I was glad others have found successful applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Take a few minutes and read the entire thread. I retracted this post and said I was glad others have found successful applications.

They aren't exactly mutually exclusive, though!

1. The Fumoto should not be installed, because it is a solution looking for a problem. Wrong. It makes the job much easier and less messy for many people.

2. The Fumoto may not be appropriate in all instances. Absolutely right. If it sticks out from the bottom of your drain pan and is exposed to debris and other things that might result in catastrophic failure, then it probably should not be installed.

Common sense must prevail. If the application for which it is used makes the oil change any amount easier for the user, then the solution has been found. Even if the oil change is made easier, the risk may not be worth the benefit. This isn't rocket surgery; it either works and with zero risk or it doesn't or has some risk that makes it not worth using. It's a ball valve, not a vortex generator.

I have a Fumoto valve on both of my vehicles. Living in an apartment that frowns on (though it's not against the rules) doing maintenance on your cars in the parking lots, it's almost stupidly simple for me to put my car on the ramps, attach the hose, drain the oil into my old 5 quart jug, then cap it off and take it back to Walmart. While the valve is not for everyone, calling it "lazy" or whatever else is just being ignorant to all different situations people are in.

Also, FWIW, I've found that using a plastic gallon bag prevents spills when removing the filter. Just put the bag around the filter, unscrew it, let it fall in the bag, seal it off and take it in with the used oil.

I can literally do an oil change in under 15 minutes, not spill a drop, and have very little clean up (no dirty drain pan or anything like that) thanks in large part to the Fumoto valve.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I've used Fumoto valves on three vehicles with no incident. Usually on this site it's people who have no knowledge or experience with them pontificating that they're a Rube Goldberg device or someone is stupid and/or lazy for using them. Bitog at its best.

I like them. There are certainly applications where it may not be the best choice, but plenty of applications where they're very helpful. With my G37, with a belly pan, if I somehow hit something that opens or rips out the Fumoto, I've got a lot more problems than a rapid oil leak.

If the Fumoto happens to be the lowest point on your car's underside, that might be a problem. Not all vehicles are like that. For me, I'm messy enough changing oil, and a Fumoto makes things cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back