Can Engines Run Quiet With Thin Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was walking across the parking lot tonight on my way into Costco, I walked past a brand new black Mustang GT while it was idling. Whisper quiet. I'm assuming it has Motorcraft 5W-20 in it from the factory.

Can engines run quiet with the specified thin oil ? When I say thin, I mean 0W-20 and 5W-20.

Our Fusion is really quiet on 5w20 - especially at low speeds
coffee2.gif

A lot of new cars have sound deadening materials installed all over including the underside of the hood. I'm not sure how Ford is doing it but there's a good chance that is part of the reason these cars sound so quiet. Open the hood and it's another story.

Winner - winner - chicken dinner - all my hoods are insulated - but when I Db test open hood - slightly above OSHA standards

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A lot of new cars have sound deadening materials installed all over including the underside of the hood. I'm not sure how Ford is doing it but there's a good chance that is part of the reason these cars sound so quiet. Open the hood and it's another story.

Yes, and covers over the engines to deaden sound even more.

My Accord is so smooth and quiet on PP 0W20 that you can even hear it running. But,I feel thin oil is only for engines spec'd for it. I'd never run 0W20 in my 300ZX,as would never run 20W50 in my Accord.

Many are the thick vs thin debates we have had on BITOG over the years.
Is there an official BITOG-approved dividing line between thick and thin?
I would suggest anything below 30-weight KV and HTHS. 9.3 cSt KV100 and 2.9 cP HTHS.

Mine runs super quiet on PU 0w20 and M1 0w20. Not so much on the current fill of 5w20, im going to say thats linked to brand.

With 400K miles of M1 0-20 experience with the last 3 Fords I've owned, I report all engines sound wonderful.
01.gif

Last edited:
Only my ford modular in my mustang and the 4 banger in my Ranger. Other than that, noisy as heck especially Hondas and Subarus. While I am waiting at a light at a large intersection cars blast around a corner from a large corporate office and the CRV sound like trashers especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back