Why no love for Castrol GTX Diesel 15w-40???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some of this stuff on clearance at my local wally world for $5 a gallon.
However, once I got home to check out the reputation of the product, I noticed there wasn't much said about it here at BITOG.
Why no love for Castrol GTX Diesel 15w-40?

Last edited:
I impulse bought a jug at Walmart when it was 10 bucks a piece several months ago. Never found a UOA or VOA so I'm leery about using it in my BMW. Currently using some Delo instead. I would really like to use the castrol next oci.

I don't know why O'Reilly sells that stuff CHEAPER than O'Reilly brand 15w-40 sometimes but I wouldn't use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I have never seen it on sale.

Is it VAG TDI rated?

Regular price at my Walmart for Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 QT $19.88.
I'd use it in a heart beat!

I saw these at two local Walmarts for a couple months for $9.97 a jug. Then, they disappeared completely and haven't shown back up. I'm curious about it as well, although, I would think it's as good as any other diesel rated oil.

If it's CAT and Cummin's rated, it is fine oil
smile.gif

$5 a gallon I would stock up. I feel it was never the most popular because it was more expensive than options which are just as good.

Product Data Sheet:

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/06974BB666CA91ED80257C320042918B/$File/GTX_Diesel_PDS_2012.pdf

Castrol GTX Diesel engine oil exceeds Cummins CES 20081 specification (but does not have Stamp of Approval).

I would use it in my old VW 1.6 NA diesel rabbit.

We see it up here, but Castrol also tends to have about 3 other 15w-40 HDEO varieties on the same shelf, and the GTX often just gets lost in the shuffle with the PCMOs, whereas Vection and Elixion are shelved separately.

I was wondering the same thing. I bought 4 gallons the other day. Its going in gas motors though...

Here in the truck section will have Castrol RX next to the Mobil Delvac, Shell Rimula, Delo etc

In the car section you will the GTX 15W40 Diesel, but also stuff like Castrol Edge 0W40 C3 for the light duty Euro diesel cars.

The GTX Diesel is a good oil I'm sure, but it's a bit of a marketing fence sitter, neither here nor there.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
I was wondering the same thing. I bought 4 gallons the other day. Its going in gas motors though...

A great application IMO, especially for old school flat tappet engines.

It's API CJ-4 / SN, KV 100 = 15.5 cSt, TBN = 8.5 and SA = 0.95 %

It's a thick strong oil, with good TBN, full SAPS and probably high zinc.

On the Castrol website, it states that Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 is now CK4 approved:

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...astrol-gtx-brand/castrol-gtx-diesel.html

I emailed Castrol and was informed GTX Diesel 15W40 was reformulated last year: "Effective March 2018, Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40 underwent a formulation change where it became an API CK-4 and ACEA E9 oil."

So far, the CK4 approved Castrol GTX Diesel has not made it to my area; however, I would be willing to give it a try. Doe anyone have experience with CK4 Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40?

Come to think of it, never seen it on shelves anywhere locally so that's probably part of the problem is distribution. GTX itself generally has a great reputation in my community and a lot of people requested it used in their cars when I worked in the lube shop! Most diesel guys are loyal Rotella or Delvac users though.

Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 CK4 is available at Walmart, and I see it's available at Tractor Supply Company. Currently, TSC has it on sale for $9.99/gal in my area.

Like many here on BITOG, I do not have any experience using Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40. It appears this HDEO is not popular, and it's often overlooked even though it meets current CK4 specifications. Does anyone here have experience using Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40?

Originally Posted by rileyc
Does anyone here have experience using Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40?

I've never seen GTX anywhere but I used Castrol Hypuron synthetic blend for a couple of years and the TBN stayed up better than anything else I've used (Delvac 1300 was second best). I no longer worry about TBN with the new oils, but back then I sure did. If you have a Fleet Pride store nearby, chances are that they still carry Castrol Vecton (formerly Hypuron in the U.S.). It was very fairly priced in 5 gallon buckets. Just in case anyone wants to play around and give it a try.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back