Doing the parts guys homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago I needed a gas cap for my tractor. Ran into autozone only to be told by the manager that they dont have tractor parts. Another employee said that he thinks one from a 60s gm truck would fit and it did.

Today I needed points for it. Was told by the same manager that they don't have tractor parts.

So I did the homework and found out that the autolite distributer in my tractor uses the same points as many cars from that era.

Studebaker,Desoto,Wyllis and Dodge to name a few. Armed with this knowledge I went back into Autozone and got the same manager.

He immediatly blared out that they wont have tractor parts.

I asked for points for a 64 Jeep cj-5. He went and got them and we compared them to the ones I took out of the tractor.

I smiled and said " I knew that you had tractor parts" as I paid and left.

Last edited:
Not sure why you would expect anything different from a box parts store like AZ.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not sure why you would expect anything different from a box parts store like AZ.
napa was able to look them up but theirs have been "improved" and wont fit anymore. Had to return those.

Napa at least has a catalog to look up a lot of non automotive parts like tractor ignition parts or lawn mower belts.

In a way, I kind of understand, if AZ doesn't have a catalog to look them up, how is he supposed to get the part number.

I'm sure a parts store with an old timer could probably look at your points and know exactly what they are.
Many of the older tractors ran Delco or Autolite ignition systems, so you can usually find automotive points to fit if you know what you are looking for.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Managers get there by kissing behinds, not by being bright.
this guy is very arrogant too.

Sad...but very very true..... in pretty much every store.

I try to look up all and any parts I need beyond basic necessities before hand. Parts guys are mostly useless, even at the dealership. You know what they say: if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Chasing part numbers and making substitutions is all part of the game. Don't expect others to know or even care.

Accessories are a perfect place to exercise a bit of interest. I'd bet that you're on the right track thinking that the distributor was used in other applications. The same is true with all kinds of bits and pieces.

Years and years ago I had a 1966 Renault R8 and all the engine parts and accessories were available from several generator manufacturers. Renault dealers were few and far between and prices were high. The generator stuff? Cheap and on the shelf. The engine was an 1108 cc, wet sleeve, push rod, bulletproof engine. The carburetor had about 10 parts and everything was simple and easy to service.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I try to look up all and any parts I need beyond basic necessities before hand. Parts guys are mostly useless, even at the dealership. You know what they say: if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Never had problems with Dealership Parts guys myself.

Originally Posted By: cronk

In a way, I kind of understand, if AZ doesn't have a catalog to look them up, how is he supposed to get the part number.

Yep.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Managers get there by kissing behinds, not by being bright.

Authority Issues?
grin.gif

Why would you expect a car parts supplier to know cross compatibility with other applications?

It seems like bragging to me, but then good for you! Yes, you can ignore people who don't think in engineering terms instead of marketing terms.

I remember working at Oreilly Auto Parts. Guys would come in all the time with Chinese spark plugs from various brands of no name OPE and get frustrated when nothing would cross reference in the system. Sometimes, there's just things you need to do yourself.

Finding interchangeable parts for a vintage tractor may be one of them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Unfortunately you are right. It used to be that even the box stores hired staff with previous experience like retired mechanics etc. But not any more. The pay scale must be so low that they hire who ever.

I have been a few times needing something that i did not want to wait to order, such as vacuum line or a caliper bolt. If its not easily found on the computer , forget it.

As a previous poster mentioned you may can get it, but YOU will have to do the homework of cross-referencing and fitting. Most of the parts counter staff have only worked on computers.

I had to show a guy where vacuum hose was in his store ( after he asked if this was for a car) and he had no clue what a banjo bolt was ( different parts guy , but again asked if this was for a car).

I usually now buy from amazon, rock auto etc, but for the " I need it today in the middle of a job" you will have to research it yourself and have a part number in hand. In that case i have even bought it online to pick up in the store, so i don't have to fool with explaining to the counter person.

Last edited:
I will only go into an Autozone if it's the last choice that I have. They have no paper catalogs, no parts for trucks over a one ton and have no agriculture parts. (As told to me by the store manager) It also seems that every employee there has the name of Barney Fife. O'Reillys is the second-worst store around here. They still do have a paper catalog (good for looking up ag parts), but the last few times I've been in there, the person behind the counter waiting on me answers the phone as I'm trying to do business with them. Not good. NAPA has the best selection of parts for larger trucks and ag applications, but they've been trying to jack up their prices by telling me that the part I want is special order and I'll have to pay a much higher price because of UPS shipping charges.
Is it any wonder I get most of my parts online?

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Why would you expect a car parts supplier to know cross compatibility with other applications?

It seems like bragging to me, but then good for you! Yes, you can ignore people who don't think in engineering terms instead of marketing terms.
I had fun with the jerk manager after he said they didnt have tractor parts but both times he was proven wrong. When I worked @ Kragen we had books under the counter to find parts if they were not in the computer.

They go by what their computer tells them. Finding a parts guy who works for AZ, AAP, PB, or any of the big parts stores that thinks out of the box is like winning the lotto. It happens, but good luck. I do my own homework too, this way I know I get the right parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back