FRAM PH4386 Cut Open- 2.1k on Semi Syn, Mint Cond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Scion XB, 105k miles.

Valvoline 5w20 max life. The car seemed to burn more oil this time around than before. I added about 1 qt. in 2100 miles.

This time around I put on a Fram ultra and used Mobil 1 5w20 oil

I changed the oil very early on this one for a few reasons, one of which is I wanted to see what an orange can looked like with low miles and only summer use on it. I have cut a few orange cans that frankly looked terrible. For whatever reason this one looked perfect, assembly was spot on and there were no visible defects.

ADBV held and was pliable. There appeared to be less debris in the can compared to the last interval, and as usual, I drove the snot out of it this time with alot of high RPM operation and full throttle.

It does look good but since you say you've opened others that looked terrible and this filter probably only looked good because it was changed early - why use them when there are better choices?

Filter looks like it could have gone twice the mileage
crazy.gif

How long do you plan on running the M1 and Ultra?

How long have you had the xB?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
It does look good but since you say you've opened others that looked terrible and this filter probably only looked good because it was changed early - why use them when there are better choices?

I don't think he means "terrible" because of mileage....
but because of poor build quality.

20 years ago, when you cut open a Fram they looked HORRIBLY made!!
Now, they have really stepped up their quality control a LOT!!!!

1 qt. in 2100 miles, I'd move up to a 5/30 high mileage oil to see if that stops or slows down the oil usage. The Ultra is a very good choice that you can put some miles on.

ROD

Very good job with your cut and post here. I have to say the Fram orange cans have overall been looking rather good for awhile now. I actually bought a 7317 to run on my Altima 3.5 for it's next run. And I'm thinking about running the Fram orange cans on it for 7-8k miles.

He did make a better choice by using a Fram Ultra, those are the best filters money can buy right now. The OCOD is still a better filter than anything made by Purolator and is easily on par with the basic Wix and Champion filters. As you can see, it trapped a good amount of grit in that short of an OCI

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Filter looks like it could have gone twice the mileage
crazy.gif

How long do you plan on running the M1 and Ultra?

How long have you had the xB?

I agree, it easily looks like it could have gone 5k.

I am plan on running the ultra at least 5 to 7k, and likely the Mobil 1 that long as well. It depends on the driving I end up doing because this car sees alot of short trips in the winter. Just depends.

I have had it 2 years and about 10k miles. I bought it from my inlaws for what the dealer was going to give them on trade. They owned it since new and it has always been dealer serviced according to the owners manual. I like the car so far, I bought it because I would have had a hard time finding something for the price that was maintained and had decent maintenance.

I went into it looking at it as strictly transportation, but I have actually grown fond of the car, it handles great and is actually fun to drive. My only complaint is the fuel mileage and the fact it burns some oil.

It had never needed a repair, or had an issue. Just a battery, and brakes of course.

Last edited:

Kind of as an experiment. I drove the ever living snot out of the car this go around, and I wanted to see what the orange can looked like. I was wondering if it was possible to have one that looked really good with only a little use.... I answered the question, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back