UOA Yamaha F300 outboards - Yamalube syn 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.

850 hours on engines. Note high sodium (Na), thin viscosity, and low flashpoint in both engines after 80 hours. No oil added.

Last edited:
Interesting, if it were mine I would ask blackstone if the low viscosity and low flash point is something to be concerned about. If it is it might be a good idea to reduce your oil change interval to something like 50 hours and check it at that interval.

How are you running these engine? Lots of trolling? Does the engine get up to temp and stay there for a while?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
How are you running these engine? Lots of trolling? Does the engine get up to temp and stay there for a while?

Yes and yes. Lots of trolling (6-8 hours at a time). For this particular OCI, all trips included total of 100-200 miles at speed around 4000 rpms for hours on end to/from continental shelf.

This is recommended oil per manual.

Note: this is shortest OCI I've ever done on these engines.

Last edited:
I see mods moved this to the small engine forum.

Last edited:
jeeezzzzz

guys 1.0% fuel will totally kill the vis and flash. period.

look no further than 1% fuel

you are searching for something that does NOT exist.

fix the fuel and the flash n susvis will come back to expected values

sodium could be coming in via intake...hard to prevent on a salt water craft
all it takes it 1 ppm per hr of runtime. do you taste salt when you breath in?
wink.gif

Latest UOA, from Oil Analyzers this time to get good fuel dilution values. Fuel dilution > 5%. Looks like need to shorten OCI, and run at WOT for a while to see if that helps

Looks good, wear metals are good, I mean that is what we want right?

I am curious, did you run the engines and oil up to full operating temperature when you took the sample for the UOA?

High performance direct injection marine engines are always going to have fuel in the oil until the oil gets piping hot and the fuel burns off/vaporizes, I would think, anyway, 2 different engines, same exact results, it wouldnt bother me and I would make sure oil was piping hot on next UOA and I would think, if you find another owner of the same exact engines, same temperature oil when taking the sample that person would have near the same results.

I am amazed at a 5/30 oil in a marine engine! My we have come a long way.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

I am curious, did you run the engines and oil up to full operating temperature when you took the sample for the UOA?

High performance direct injection marine engines are always going to have fuel in the oil until the oil gets piping hot and the fuel burns off/vaporizes, I would think, anyway, 2 different engines, same exact results, it wouldnt bother me and I would make sure oil was piping hot on next UOA and I would think, if you find another owner of the same exact engines, same temperature oil when taking the sample that person would have near the same results.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, took the sample after engines had been run for 8 hours straight, so everything was very hot. Fuel dilution didn't become a problem for these engines until about 700 hours, so I'm thinking (hoping!) they just have some carbon buildup due to all the extended idling and trolling that needs to be burned off.

Originally Posted By: claluja

Thanks for your comments. Yes, took the sample after engines had been run for 8 hours straight, so everything was very hot. Fuel dilution didn't become a problem for these engines until about 700 hours, so I'm thinking (hoping!) they just have some carbon buildup due to all the extended idling and trolling that needs to be burned off.

You troll with a 300? I own a 90 Merc 4 stroke and wouldn't troll with it. Electric trolling motors or kicker motors were built for a reason.
Also, without reading this whole thread, have you tried anything other than Yamalube? Imo, Yamalube is way overpriced for what you get.
I'd try something different, which, in most cases, will likely be better and likely about half the price as well.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
5W30 in a 300HP outboard? Is that for real?

Yammy dino is 10w30 … their synthetic (gold bottle) is 5w30 and even the SHO series runs it …

Ok, got it, understand.
I guess I am saying, give the engines the benefit of the doubt. You have two engines and both reporting the same results.
Even direct injection automotive engines will have fuel dilution and agree, maybe even the extended trolling...

I miss those days, until 11 years ago, spent my entire life on Long Island, NY and boating the Great South Bay, outside of Jones Inlet to Fire Island inlet,
to Blue Fishing off the Ambrose Light Tower outside of NY Harbor.
Bought my first I/O boat at the age of 17, years later worked up foot by foot from all different brands I/Os and O/[censored] then a 268 Sea Ray..

From the first 17 boat, of course carefully watching weather, the calm mornings heading out into the ocean even with the first 17 foot boat, diversity of life was something I always loved. Never did anything with big game fish, never had that type of boat or budget for one!

Even though I have a 41 mile long freshwater lake here now where I live in SC, its just not the same ... sold our boat here some years ago, between work schedule, kids growing up, to now thinking of getting something small for the lake, me and my wife.

I dont know .. just my thoughts on your engines, maybe simply because Yamahas to me, even though I never owned one, are awesome engines....

Last edited:

Ok, got it, understand.
I guess I am saying, give the engines the benefit of the doubt. You have two engines and both reporting the same results.
Even direct injection automotive engines will have fuel dilution and agree, maybe even the extended trolling...

I miss those days, until 11 years ago, spent my entire life on Long Island, NY and boating the Great South Bay, outside of Jones Inlet to Fire Island inlet,
to Blue Fishing off the Ambrose Light Tower outside of NY Harbor.
Bought my first I/O boat at the age of 17, years later worked up foot by foot from all different brands I/Os and O/[censored] then a 268 Sea Ray..

From the first 17 boat, of course carefully watching weather, the calm mornings heading out into the ocean even with the first 17 foot boat, diversity of life was something I always loved. Never did anything with big game fish, never had that type of boat or budget for one!

Even though I have a 41 mile long freshwater lake here now where I live in SC, its just not the same ... sold our boat here some years ago, between work schedule, kids growing up, to now thinking of getting something small for the lake, me and my wife.

I dont know .. just my thoughts on your engines, maybe simply because Yamahas to me, even though I never owned one, are awesome engines....

Spoke to a Yamaha master tech the other day. He said not unusual given all the idling and trolling these engines see (often 6 or 8 hours at a time). He said when this develops at high hours 95% of the time the problem is carbon buildup on the rings, and recommended running it WOT for an hour with a big dose of Ring Free in the tank to try to burn the carbon off. I did that Friday - hoping that will help.

Was able to take the kids fishing Firday and Saturday - ocean sure is addictive!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Are you running any Yamaha “Ring Free” to mitigate the CBU?

I had been skimping on Ring Free - only using about 30% of the amount called for on the bottle. Also forgot many times. Won't do that again.

Some claim Ring Free (and other outboard OEM adds) is a heavy dose of Techron … and every few months some outlet has Techron on sale … anyone read the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back