My 08 Mazda6; Inside cabin whining noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had developed two minor problems recently;

One is body vibration thru my car that's coming perhaps from the engine bay; it is a very hard to point out th source because once you get outside you cannot hear what's the issue; I can hear it but someone else I doubt it when I turn the engine off there is like rattle/vibrate sound that comes from the left side of engine bay; it lasts like less 1s. One really need closely to listen in order to hear it;

Second one and that is more of concern to me is a whining/buzzing sound that reminds me of a current throughout the cabin; when you play with lights or door/window switches it change its sound; when you hold the parking hand in hand you can feel like a current/vibration in it; again once you stepped outside you barely can hear it; my initial thought is that could be fuel pump, but the car still cranks up at first or have a performance gas efficiency not changer to my knowledge.

All original parts on it to this day. Help

I Thank You

For your first problem, I can almost guarantee that the rattle is your upper motor mount. They are fluid filled and they will split and spill the fluid. Look on the wheel well underneath the mount to see if there is staining from the leaking fluid. The symptoms sound very much like the mount.

As for the whining noise... I have no clue there.

Definitely upper motor mount. Super common issue with these cars. It's fluid filled. Any shop can do this for an hour labor plus parts. I had a mazdaspeed6 and I had 2 upper motor mounts fail (same mount design but different engine) in 2 years before going to aftermarket performance mount.

Thanks for your input all good people!

I was wondering what is the easiest way to check for engine mounts, especially the one with fluid, perhaps to use a floor jack and lift a engine somewhat up and see if there is change in sound

Also what is the easiest way to test fuel pump, something that I can do before I take the next step

Originally Posted By: SF0059
As for the whining noise... I have no clue there.
Solution: Let your mother-in-law out of the back seat, or trunk, whatever.

Guess what... It just died on me
cry.gif
luckily on my place of work

It cranks but it wont start

I was going to say the trans mount might be shot (it's on top of the trans, driver's side). But it sounds like you have bigger problems now.

Thank You Guys!

I am buying the parts today $300

tomorrow Ill be wrenching it

Motor mountains will be next on my to do list

Here is an update;

After the job today, the car started after several tries sequentially, so I got lucky and I got it to my home; now I got an Delphi fuel pump at AutoZone and I got the tool to untie the pump; I took the seat cushion out exposing the pump position; I tried to start the car but in vain; that sound when you give power by turning the key (like valve opening) is now missing, so my question is whether is this a pump related or the relay related; of course no whining sound while car is down sound until you started it

Again thanks for all your suggestions!

I have parts ready, so I was wondering how difficult is to the job, on a scale 1-10, and what I should watch for in the process, please

I Thank You

so it was the pump? it looks like the cover is sealed with silicone? or am I seeing a reflection?

Yeah it was the pump, on the way out; I'd replace it now then be stranded on the road next; no silicone, just a reflection from gas;
everything went smoothly except for the screws that hold the flange and the pump secured; they were rusty and very soft made so I needed to take them out with a drilling bit and extractor; I went to home depot and got stainless steel screws this time...

Good news. I guess I never realized there was an access panel there. Hopefully I never need the info - but thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back