tubes to hold AA batteries in mini flashlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
over the years I have gotten the small single AA battery aluminum flashlights from several almost identical sources. They make nice and economical practical gifts for postman, etc. I think an American manufacturer made the original, then Chinese companies.....well, we know the rest of the story. ANYWAY, some of them came with a small plastic tube to hold the battery tightly. Anyone know who sells them (tubes, hopefully for cheap?) I plan to buy some more lights and very slightly upgrade them for Christmas gifts. Better but still quality AA battery, silicon dilectric grease on battery and connections, new and better o rings, possibly grease where they are threaded to make them more water resistant, find a die to chase the threads, possibly super glue and polish the plastics "glass", little subtle improvements to make them better than HSN or similar. Wish I could improve the 3 way switch - low, high, strobe -that fails more than the 2 way on-off one. Just a thought. Thanks!

Why spend the extra money for the high priced flashlight??

I get along just fine with the less expensive ones $3.00 to $5.00.

and they they have worked just fine for the last 10 plus years!

Most folks have little to no use for a $60 dollar flashlight!

"small plastic tube to hold the battery tightly"

What's the purpose? 2 cells are held under spring force in a container. They are going anywhere.

Why not pick up some cheap AA lights on aliexpress? They're in the $3-$4 range. They're usually better than what you find in the stores. I tend to go for super bright, the latest one I got is the C8 with a Cree XP-L V5 led. It's pretty bright, only drawback is that it takes 18650's which most people don't have. About $16 for that light.

Originally Posted By: user52165
"small plastic tube to hold the battery tightly"

What's the purpose? 2 cells are held under spring force in a container. They are going anywhere.

They AREN'T going anywhere.

Gotta love that 5 minute edit time (LOL).

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Who said anything about a $60 flashlight? I'm sure you can find a $5 one where the AA cell fits more snugly.

I get along just fine withthe less expensive ones 43.00 to $5.00.

If you are spending more than 10$ on a AA battery flashlight you should rethink life
laugh.gif

Anything good will use recharables (li-ion) with way higher current limits than AA,or D batteries that's why good LED flashlights are so bright.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
If you are spending more than 10$ on a AA battery flashlight you should rethink life
laugh.gif

Unless it's an AA flashlight that can also use 14500 li-ion.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers

I get along just fine withthe less expensive ones 43.00 to $5.00.

laugh.gif

Anything good will use recharables (li-ion) with way higher current limits than AA,or D batteries that's why good LED flashlights are so bright.

Well, it's obvious I have no need to rethink life! LOL

I get along just fine with the less expensive ones $3.00 to $5.00.

This sort of thing can be said for just about anything.

Cars, tools, houses, dogs, beer, TV's, women, etc. No particular order and the list goes on and on.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This sort of thing can be said for just about anything.

Cars, tools, houses, dogs, beer, TV's, women, etc. No particular order and the list goes on and on.

+1

We all find different avenues to blow our money, and if it makes us happy, who's to criticize us?

No, just messing with ya.
lol.gif

People have different priorities, and it's true that some people's priorities are greatly misguided.

But on the subject of nice AA lights, $10 gets you a JetBeam Jet-1 MK which is great as is. Great fit and finish. It needs no further modding/expenses, IMO. Most AA cells fit snugly without any need for tubes/sleeves. O-rings are nice. The threads are lubed well, and it has a 3-mode twist head switch with mode memory that also works well. And no annoying strobe/disco mode. Finally, it can run on a Li-Ion cell as well, providing 3x the output.

But I understand in OP's case it's probably more about the personal touches that he adds. He can make a bigger difference if he starts off with a light that has a lot of shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back