Castrol Edge EP 5W30, 3000mi 2004 Ford Expy 5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.

jh0

This was mostly highway driving, took a trip from Michigan to Connecticut.

Blackstone Labs comments:
Wow, nice improvement! This 3,000-mile run is a great place to start looking for the ideal oil change
interval for your Expedition. Now that we know how many miles are on the oil, we can start increasing the
miles until we find the ideal mix of wear/miles. Metals all tested at healthy levels, oil physical properties were
very good, and both air and oil filtration look top-notch. The TBN was very strong at 6.0, showing plenty of
active additive remaining for more use. Increase the interval to 5,000 miles, then check back about going
further. Nice engine!

Oil filter:
PureOne PL24651 (did not replace this oil change)

Air filter:
Fram CA8039 Extra Guard (replaced before this oil change cycle)

Code:
[/code]

OIL Castrol Edge EP 5W30

MILES IN USE 3,000

O&F CHANGED NO FILTER

MILES 154,163

MAKEUP OIL 0

SAMPLE TAKEN 5-SEPT-2017

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 6

COPPER 5

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 79

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 24

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 270

SILICON 11

SODIUM 8

CALCIUM 2092

MAGNESIUM 8

PHOSPHORUS 735

ZINC 781

BARIUM 0

Values Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.8 55-62

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.16 8.8-11.1

Flashpoint in °F 445 >365

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.1
TBN 6.0 >1.0

Code:

Originally Posted By: jh0
Blackstone Labs comments: Wow, nice improvement! This 3,000-mile run is a great place to start looking for the ideal oil change interval for your Expedition. Now that we know how many miles are on the oil, we can start increasing the miles until we find the ideal mix of wear/miles. Metals all tested at healthy levels, oil physical properties were very good, and both air and oil filtration look top-notch. The TBN was very strong at 6.0, showing plenty of active additive remaining for more use. Increase the interval to 5,000 miles, then check back about going further. Nice engine!
Nice improvement over what? Do you have another UOA to share? If 3K is to be your OCI (even if 5K is to be your OCI), unless you are getting free EP, I would switch to a conventional oil (any conventional oil--the cheaper the better as long as it meets API SM or SN). A premium synthetic is a waste at that OCI.

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
Sorry I'm confused. Was there any particular reason you ran EP for 3,000?

Because he wanted to?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Nice improvement over what? Do you have another UOA to share? If 3K is to be your OCI (even if 5K is to be your OCI), unless you are getting free EP, I would switch to a conventional oil (any conventional oil--the cheaper the better as long as it meets API SM or SN). A premium synthetic is a waste at that OCI.

Here's his previous UOA:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4507054/Unkwn_5W/30,_2004_Ford_Expedit#Post4507054

Correct, that is the reason. I had high iron (40ppm) on the last UOA. One response made me think I may have engine problems. Going for 5000mi or maybe skip right to 8000mi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back