Rearview Mirror Dashcam Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found one that goes over your existing rearview mirror using velcro.

The idea here is discreetness - I don't want someone to know that there's a dashcam in my car, especially when parking in bad areas. Obviously suction cup cams and the like are out.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a cam even smaller, or one that can record front and back at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Front and Back combinations are the way to go and have software that combines the two images.

Only thing I can say is stay away from Garmin Dash Cams. They freeze up with regularity and you don't know it until you go to download the video and find it has not been filming for days. Calls to Customer Service are typically met with suggestions to change the SD card frequently.

I don't disagree with the garmin comment. Seems they choose the slowest possible CPU in their products in a couple of instances causing problems. That said always make sure your memory chips are of the long duration type. The memories only have so many write cycles before they start to go bad and the and the constant looping of the memory combined with lots of heat on the windshield can grind them down to error nub quickly.

Ideas... check out Dash Cam Talk forum.
Generally when it comes to the mirror type, they are usually battery instead of capacitors for high temp locations. Also mirror type is limited on features regards to the menu and user settings.
I've run mirror type, camera w/suction cup type and stick-on wedge type. Keep in mind although mirror type can do 2-channel (front and back cams) usually the back cam is of lower resolution. But if you don't run a front and a separate rear cam, then I guess the 2-channel mirror cam is a good compromise. The mirror type I tried had it's display centered within the mirror. If I had to do it again I would have the display to the left or right side, but that's just me.
Also some have chrome look around the lens, easy to spot. Either go black or take a sharpie and knock the chrome.
Anyway check out the forums as some of them folks are in the know.
Also read into the micro SD cards. Many cams have a type, brand and limit size. Check out for firmware updates and do routine format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back