How old is this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently picked up some oil. Looking at the bottles, it looks quite old.

Any idea about it and also, if it's safe to use in an engine?

Have a look at the pictures. Thanks

Last edited:
Give us the api service letters, like sn or sm or sg etc.

The mobil looks older the havoline not that old to me by the bottles.

Havoline says on the back API service SL, SJ, SH(10W40) and SL, SJ, SH, ILSAC GF-3(10W30)

One of the Sunoco brand is SJ, SH,ILSAC GF-2(5W-30)

Super G is SJ, SH, SG, ILSAC GF-2(10W30).

I would only use it in a car from that same era and then only if I had nothing newer. I would be concerned about inadequate additive package such as detergents.

I would use it in my small equipment or tractors.

SJ is 2001 and older engines. SL is 2004 and older engines.

http://www.api.org/~/media/files/certification/engine-oil-diesel/publications/mom_guide_english_2013.pdf

The Havoline will have a date near the barcode...I'm guessing 2001 or 2002...the Mobil is older.

I had the same Mobil HP container up until last year. It was from the mid to late 1990's. The add packs from that era, at least with respect to phosphorus and zinc, are often stronger than what's put out today for standard SN.

Does it mean I should not use any of this oil in any of my car? Or can I mix it, let's say half a quart with fresh oil?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Does it mean I should not use any of this oil in any of my car? Or can I mix it, let's say half a quart with fresh oil?

You could get rid of it half a quart per oil change w/o doing any harm. I'd use it up in OPE, two seasons and it would be gone.

Did you think 100 times before picking this up? Just kidding but what prompted you to buy this?

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
Did you think 100 times before picking this up? Just kidding but what prompted you to buy this?
nope, since it's free
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You could get rid of it half a quart per oil change w/o doing any harm. I'd use it up in OPE, two seasons and it would be gone.

Please forgive my ignorance, what's OPE, some equipment?

Please forgive my ignorance, what's OPE, some equipment?

OPE= Outdoor Power Equipment

Is it safe to use?
Yes.
The question is what you propose to use it in.
I'd use this oil without qualms in a couple of our machines, but not in a few of the others.

That era of Havoline was the darling of BITOG for quite a while. It has nearly 400ppm moly in it! That my friend is a find. I would run that in my Jeep in a heartbeat.

The other stuff I'd use for top off for the mower if at all.

Thanks guys. Currently, we have 3 Civics. 03, 06 and 08.

I won't use in any of them, will mix all of them in a gallon and will use for OPE.

For Havoline 10W40, will use in my motorcycle.

Thanks for all the help and advice
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back