OLM Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 IS350, manual says 10,000 mile OCI, but my light usually comes on around 5k no matter what oil I use. This got me wondering how accurate the monitor actually is, Lexus OLM information states:

Quote:
"Smart technology, like the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) system, automatically monitors the oil life in your vehicle using an advanced algorithm, on board computer system that alerts owners when it’s time for an oil change, so they can address the issue promptly and without hassle. When the dashboard light is triggered, indicating “OIL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED,” all the owner has to do is schedule an appointment with a trusted mechanic, take the vehicle in for servicing, and a mechanic will take care of the rest; it’s that simple.

How the Lexus Oil Life Monitor system works and what to expect

The Lexus Oil Life Monitor (OLM) system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software based, algorithm driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine to determine when the oil needs changing. The system measures the engine oil life by three criteria: crankcase temperature, combustion chamber conditions (how the engine performs), and moisture (internal/external environment). The algorithm is able to adjust the oil change interval given these variables and will give the owner an accurate reading of engine oil life within a five percent margin of error."

5% accuracy is pretty astounding. I've used magnatech, supertech, mobil 1 and the light goes off within 100 mile difference in all oils and there are certainly quality differences between those oils, which leads me to believe the OLM is all [censored]. Anyone? I'd like to run an oil to 8,000 miles and get a UOA done but if it's going off 3,000 miles before that and it's accurate then that's a no go.

Last edited:
I would take a sample at 5k and see if the oil still has "life" in it. That being said Toyota and GM are known for having very accurate and trusted OLMs

Got it, I guess my question is really about whether or not the OLM is measuring the physical condition of the oil, or just going on some type of pre-programmed interval. It's just odd that not matter what oil I use it comes on within 100 miles, so those 3 oils are equal in quality according to the OLM or it is just going off no matter what, while there could be another 3-4k of life left in the oil.

Toyota's OLM is really just an idiot light programmed to blink about 500 miles/KM out from 5K in which it stays solid.

Unless Toyota is taking account idle time, engine loads, ambient conditions and other factors like most other OLMs.

OLMs don't monitor the "quality" of the oil - they treat ALL oils equally in fact, whether they are conventional, synthetic, etc. They simply factor in miles, temperatures, start/stop, RPMs, and so on (this is most people's best guess as unless they're involved in the programming, they can't say) and reduce the 'life' accordingly over time.

Since they treat all oils equally, you have to make the determination of when you will actually change the oil. If you're using a synthetic, do you ignore the OLM and go longer ?

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

Since they treat all oils equally, you have to make the determination of when you will actually change the oil. If you're using a synthetic, do you ignore the OLM and go longer ?

that's the question... I know [censored] well Mobil 1 lasts longer than 5k

Some of the older OLM simply tracked mileage and set off at -x amount of miles- however they have come a long way over the past few years to keep track of ambient temp, rpm, idle time, how long the vehicles been up to temp.

Far more accurate these days but really it just depends on your driving style and if you hit the highway or bumper to bumper traffic. Highway miles are easy on vehicles while high temp red light traffic is not.

I agree with the user above and would also suggest sending in a sample to see what they think. Several manufacturers simply test a oil that meets their standard and use that as a base line for the OLM system. They probably just assume you are using a oil of similar quality and you very well may have some miles left on the oil.

Originally Posted By: Youthanasia
I guess my question is really about whether or not the OLM is measuring the physical condition of the oil

No oil life monitor in a passenger car does this (that I've ever heard of). They're all either a) an "idiot light" that turns on after x amount of miles. or b) they monitor the vehicles use over the OCI and determine when the oil should be changed based on how the vehicle was driven.

In either case, the vehicle's OLM doesn't know whether you're using Mobil 1 Annual Protection or Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

My '01 Civic has the "idiot light" that comes on every 7,500 miles. I just leave it on and make people think I never do any maintenance.
grin.gif
My '08 CR-V supposedly has a proper OLM but I never let it go that far before changing it.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
My '08 CR-V supposedly has a proper OLM but I never let it go that far before changing it.

My first experience with OLMs was our '06 Accord. It was a lease so I wanted to make sure they didn't ding me for improper maintenance so around 3k-4k miles, I called the dealer to inquire about an oil change (I didn't have a place to do it at that time plus they were only charging $28). I told them "it just hit 'x' miles and I want to get an oil change". They asked "did the OLM come on already?" and when I told them no, they said not to change the oil until then. Turned away easy work/money ! So I waited until it told me and kept doing that....

Our '05 Odyssey apparently had a "proper" OLM as well and I specifically read the description of roughly how it works (RPMs, miles, engine temps, etc) in the manual. The few times I kept track, it would go 6000-7500 miles before coming on.

Last edited:
Remember , you are not damaging the engine by frequent oil / filter changes . Cheap insurance , especially if you purchase both on sale & stock up . Also gives you a chance to visually inspect under the hood & under the front end . And check tires , air / cabin air filter , hoses , belts , other fluids and check for leaks .

Learn to depend / trust your own observations & not what some one tells you . Recognizing that someone may be also trying to up-sell you something .

Keep alert & eyes open , :)

I purchased my first Toyota last year with the 2GR-FE 3.5l V6. The olm turns on at 5k miles even though its recommended to change the oil at 10k. I was told it's to remind you to rotate the tires every 5k, so reset it and change the oil every other time it comes on.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Our '05 Odyssey apparently had a "proper" OLM as well and I specifically read the description of roughly how it works (RPMs, miles, engine temps, etc) in the manual. The few times I kept track, it would go 6000-7500 miles before coming on.

Most of the '08 CR-Vs I've read about will go 9-12,000 before tripping the oil life monitor. Mine has never dropped below 60% with as many as 6,500 miles on the oil (winter, mountains, short trips, oh my!!). I believe they re-calibrated??? the OLM on newer ones to lower the miles on the OCI. I just stick to 5,000 and leave it at that. It's a nice round number and I don't have to keep a reminder in the car. Just change on the 5's with whatever clearance oil I have in the stash.

The newer Fords use both time and mileage in their OLM algorithm. You could let the car sit for a whole year in the garage without even starting it once and the OLM would go from 100% to 0% in 1 year (~2% decrease per week).

You sure the Lexus is a OLM and not a maintenance required light that also includes tire rotations? On my Camry, the light comes on every 5000 miles because something is called for in the manual every 5000 miles. The oil change is every 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
You sure the Lexus is a OLM and not a maintenance required light that also includes tire rotations? On my Camry, the light comes on every 5000 miles because something is called for in the manual every 5000 miles. The oil change is every 10,000 miles.

If it's like my 2006 IS350, tires don't get rotated because they are staggered.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: Leo99

If it's like my 2006 IS350, tires don't get rotated because they are staggered.

yeah staggered, that's a pretty useless OLM if it's just coming on around 5k just cause. Mobil 1 lasts way longer than that, I'd expect that for supertech or something but it does the same thing on different oils so it seems kind of useless

I didn't realize that any Toyota product had an IOLM in 2014.
The three conditions cited in the OM seem like a somewhat flaky way in which to measure oil life in service, but I'm confident that the Toyota engine guys did enough homework to find that those three were a good surrogate measure for overall oil condition and they at least tell you what data points their algorithm uses rather than merely presenting it as a black box model that you should blindly follow.
Anyway, UOA the oil when you hit this oil change light.
I'd bet that the oil really will be due for a change since I doubt that Toyota spent money developing a fairly sophisticated system only to have it cry wolf. Remember that not all miles of use are equal with some being far harder on the engine and its oil than others and this is the whole point of IOLMs.
Were this a simple mileage minder I'd be inclined to ignore it, but this system appears to be far more than that.

where is that quote from?

ive never seen thst wording before from lexus or toyota.

if i google it, it only comes from yourmechanic.com which is some website where they autofill in various manufacturers into boilerplate articles to get your clicks and for you to sign up for their service

toyota/lexus has always been a 5000/10000 counter and does not use an algorithm.

to be more precise its a maint. required light so you go get serviced and arent like that sister of a poster whose finally got her rav4 looked at after 9years but 3days late by a third party mechanic but somehow blames toyota for it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back