Whisky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any whisky (or whiskey) fans here?

Picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder this weekend and have been enjoying about a finger's worth each night. I am not a fan of smoky/peaty flavors, so this would be the first Scotch that I can tolerate.

monkey-shoulder-blended-malt-whisky.jpg

I think my next purchase will be a Japanese Whisky - one of the Yamazaki bottles.

Out of production for sometime now, but.... you may find a lone bottle here or there, on a bottom shelf somewhere.
Not well known, but those that find it are in for a surprise. Worth the hunt.

Jailers-Tennessee-Whiskey-700x700.jpg

I enjoy Johnnie Walker Green label. Its my go to for price/taste/value. Im not into too smoky or peaty either I must say. Im ok with a bit of each but found Laphroig to be too overpowering.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Im ok with a bit of each but found Laphroaig to be too overpowering.

Not sure what market they were trying to penetrate with that stuff.

I like Maker's Mark for sentimental/historical/traditional reasons.

I buy Glenlivet as gifts for friends, but never for myself.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Out of production for sometime now, but.... you may find a lone bottle here or there, on a bottom shelf somewhere.
Not well known, but those that find it are in for a surprise. Worth the hunt.

Jailers-Tennessee-Whiskey-700x700.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation.. or the journey to find a bottle LOL.

I am always intrigued by whiskys that claim to have salty notes. I know it can happen but have yet to experience it.

+1 on the lagavulin, but the 16 year, rather than the 12. Although the OP did say they aren't a fan of peaty, smokie whisky.

If you want to try an excellent, reasonably priced Japanese whisky try Suntory Toki. It's relatively new (came out just about 18 months ago) and available all over the U.S. It's a blend of whiskies from all three of Suntory's distilleries. It's running about $40/bottle around here (43% ABV).

Toki

This is my favorite!!! Absolutely delicious!!
I've tried some Japanese whisky and wasn't really impressed. Anyway, no matter what I try always go back to monkey shoulder. You can't bit how much you getting for the price!

Monkey Shoulder is "almost" a single malt Speyside whisky. It's a blend of malts from three distilleries owned by William Grant & Sons. I believe it's Balvenie, Glenfiddich, and Kininvie. Very syrupy, sweet, and malty. The Japanese began their whisky industry by hiring experience Scottish distillers so you will find their malt whiskies to be very familiar in profile.

Monkey Shoulder is the only whisky out there named after a repetitive motion injury.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The Japanese began their whisky industry by hiring experience Scottish distillers so you will find their malt whiskies to be very familiar in profile.

They sent their chemist to Scotland to learn about Scotch whisky. The man returned and worked for Suntory for 10 years, and on the 11th or 12th year left Suntory and opened up his own.

Time to give this thread a bump, I suppose.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
I prefer bourbon...Evan Williams 1783 or Buffalo Trace on the rocks.

For bourbon, I normally stick to Maker's Mark, but I decided to get BT this time around. Looking forward to trying it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back