What is the benefit of using Lube Gard Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a lot of people use LG in their trans fluid. What is the benefit to it? Does it actually do anything? Or is it a mental effect of thinking it is helping a transmission last longer. If there is indeed good evidence that it will make a tranny last longer, I may have to try it
wink.gif

This is going to sound radical, but in my opinion, not monkeying with your ATF is a good thing. ATF is much more critical to AT performance than simply being a lubricant. Besides lubrication effects, it is a critical hydraulic fluid in multiple places in the system. It has to work correctly in all of them (line pressure in valve bodies, as a friction component between discs, energy transfer medium in the TC vanes, etc.)

I have had good success with Lubegard products (I have the blue biotech in the engine oil in one car now). BUT, I would use the red in an AT with great caution.

It has a MFT of friction modifiers in it. If your fluid is worn out, it will replinish them. But if the fluid is old and sheared, it won't alter the viscosity, which also has A LOT to do with shift characteristics. (This is why Dex VI works poorly in some DexII/DexIII designed transmissions, for example - despite what GM says) If you have a PWM torque converter (most cars after 2000 do), it can thus delay the lock-up and generate more heat in the TC, despite the product claims.

IMO, the sounder policy is to swap out all the fluid and just put fresh, correct fluid into the unit instead of trying to doctor the worn fluid, or to try to doctor the fresh fluid and shift it outside the boundaries the transmission was designed around. Radical thinking, I know.

I'm a fan of LG Red since it helped with hot rough shifts in my Infiniti. Tranny is still smooth after 2 yrs.

Just check their site,,,It has worked well on my dodge transmission, shifted sooner and smoother..

Now for my Buick Lasabre, did not stop hard banging shifts, so I use Lucas transmission Fix after I got a 700 dollar estimate to replace solenoids and a transmission seal...that was over a year ago,,,yes I still have to add Lucas transmission fix about twice a year,,,half a bottle 16 oz and 16 oz of transmission fluid and that does a great job.....

After flushing trans on my 2012 Equinox 2.4 it still shifted stupid on 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Dealers could not "replicate" it. I put in whole bottle of Lube Guard Red. Shifts perfect now. I'm a believer in it.

I purchased 3 quarts of Honda DW1 and a bottle of LG Red for a planned ATF change on our '08. This would have been my first use of LG Red. I decided against using it, since plans changed and we were to sell the Civic to a family member. I now have two vehicles with CVT's and will likely sell the LG and ATF to someone local.

I saw that a lot of people have been using it in their 'Post Your Latest Transmission Fluid Flush' posts. My concern would be using it in Mercon V fluid. My transmission is fine, but like I mentioned, I wouldn't be opposed to adding something to make it last longer than a normal trans, ie. 200k plus. I'm currently at 119k

My Honda Accord has 15 ounces of LG Red in her. I refresh my fluid all the time, so I have no idea if it's doing "anything"....but I'm sure it's not harming anything either.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
This is what Lubegard claims

I wonder if the trans fluid temp lowered by 9-12 degF has been observed by anyone here?

My old car was a 2007 3.8 ltr. supercharged Grand Prix with a HD transmission. I've been driving the same commute for years. Same traffic jams, same distance. My driver information center displayed trans temperatures. I bought a bottle of LG, but tracked my temperatures for a few days. In stop and go traffic, the temps were in the 210-215-220 range. Added the LG and saw my temperatures were now in the 195-210 range. Heat kills transmissions and a bottle was easier than a trans cooler.

I run my transmission fluid runs through a transmission cooler box mounted in front of the radiator,,,no more transmission fluid is cooled by the main radiator , so no extra heat there is picked up...

My trannie was shifting badly (in accordance with established norms) and the previous owner tried several fluid changes.
This left the fluid PERFECTLY CLEAN.

I had the TCM reprogrammed and shifting improved greatly.

I read about LubeGard (red) and tried it at the recommended dosage of 1 oz. per system qt.
I drained the sump and simply returned it to the trans less 8 oz. and added 8 oz. LubeGard.

The shifting again improved instantly. I recommend the stuff.

I don't:
a) believe in "mechanics in a can"
b) work for them
c) sell the stuff
d) care what you think (Gotta throw in some All-American 'spit in your eye' stuff for red neck street cred)

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
I saw that a lot of people have been using it in their 'Post Your Latest Transmission Fluid Flush' posts. My concern would be using it in Mercon V fluid. My transmission is fine, but like I mentioned, I wouldn't be opposed to adding something to make it last longer than a normal trans, ie. 200k plus. I'm currently at 119k

I used lube guard red in my van at 200k along with 3-4 quarts of mobil 1 ATF, now at 216k Still shifting fine. I had no issues with shifting, just added it in because it was the cool thing to do, everyone was using it, monkey see monkey do.

One of the first things I do when I purchase a vehicle is throw a bottle of LGR. The last vehicle (besides my signature) was an 05 chevy Malibu 4 cylinder. Purchased with 15k and traded in with 160k. Transmission shifted smooth as butter

I've seen a lot of people use LG in their trans fluid. What is the benefit to it? Does it actually do anything? Or is it a mental effect of thinking it is helping a transmission last longer. If there is indeed good evidence that it will make a tranny last longer, I may have to try it
wink.gif

I don't think there is any credible evidence of LG Red prolonging a transmission.

The only advantage I can see is its ability to clean valves and servos that have varnished, due to infrequent ATF changes or ATF overheating.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
wink.gif

I don't think there is any credible evidence of LG Red prolonging a transmission.

The only advantage I can see is its ability to clean valves and servos that have varnished, due to infrequent ATF changes or ATF overheating.

This may be perfect for the Corolla then. It still has the OEM fluid in it (WS) and is at 126k. I want to change it out soon since it is pretty dark. No issues other than color of fluid. Ie. hard shifts, slipping, etc.

"LubeGard" is the Seafoam of the transmission world. Some think it is just snake oil but the many anecdotal accounts just cannot be easily dismissed either.

That being said, had a new from the get go notchy shifting transmission in a RAM I owned. Threw in the recommended dosage of LubeGard and it smoothed right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back