IOS 11 for Ipads and Iphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
From our office of IT at the Uni.

Quote:
Today Apple will be releasing IOS 11 for Ipads and Iphones. You can read more about the new features here.
https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/

We have been testing this update and it does not work with Coe's ISE-EMP wireless network. This will require a update from Cisco which is not available at this time. However it does work with Coe's ISE-COE wireless service.

I do also want to warn you that third party 32 bit apps will no longer work after upgrading to IOS 11. To check which apps are affected you can go to Settings>General>About>Applications and it will show a list of apps that are incompatible and don't have a update available. These apps in this list will no longer work after you upgrade.

Having a terrible time with zombie cookies,
these are web cookies loaded into your iPad that cannot be deleted, only a System Restore gets rid of them.

Use Firefox Focus to rather than Safari.

Not sure if IOS 11 will allow you to delete them, or block them....

What do you think this will do to an iPhone 4S or iPad with Retina?

These are both 3-4 years old and on iOS 8.

Will this new iOS slow them down and cause faster battery drain?

Thanks for helping out this guy who os very change-averse
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
What do you think this will do to an iPhone 4S or iPad with Retina?

These are both 3-4 years old and on iOS 8.

Will this new iOS slow them down and cause faster battery drain?

Thanks for helping out this guy who os very change-averse
grin.gif

Nothing, since they are 32 bit and cannot be upgraded to ios11.

I checked for the update my phone is on the list of phones that will work with the update, and it is telling my my phone is up to date with iOS 10.3.3.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
ArcticDriver said:
Nothing, since they are 32 bit and cannot be upgraded to ios11.

That is everything I hoped to know.

Thanks

I'm glad our older iPad mini (original) can't upgrade, because it's perfect as-is. We got it for free and let our son use it for educational games. For this, it's perfect. Add in a bunch of "productivity" improvements and it would probably bog down.

I'd suggest waiting a few days to a week before updating. MolaKule's post is a good example of the bumps you can hit during roll out. Might be more prudent to wait and see what other problems surface, see if the are any fixes and then take the plunge.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
I'd suggest waiting a few days to a week before updating. MolaKule's post is a good example of the bumps you can hit during roll out. Might be more prudent to wait and see what other problems surface, see if the are any fixes and then take the plunge.

This is the best advice.

update is about 1.9Gb; downloaded and installed on my iphone 6s no issues;

full disclosure: I have 1 app from the app store, no music, no videos and I don't use apple pay. It is required for my job and I don't load my life on it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
update is about 1.9Gb; downloaded and installed on my iphone 6s no issues;

full disclosure: I have 1 app from the app store, no music, no videos and I don't use apple pay. It is required for my job and I don't load my life on it.

Our IT boffins told us to hold off if we were offered updates to iOS 11 so they can make sure the apps we use work with it.

I'm home sick and haven't had much to do besides feel miserable, so I upgraded my phone, did a few checks to make sure everything works fine, then upgraded the Mrs.

I like to upgrade my phone using iTunes. It downloaded a 2.6GB file size and automatically backed each up, in case things went awry. There are some definite differences (you can Google for all of them), but if I wasn't paying attention (i.e., if the phone had update on its own) I don't know that I would have immediately noticed anything. The icons, animations and other UI changes are somewhat subtle, and could be the mark of any iOS version 10.X.X update.

The phone behaves performs the same as it did before, but with a few nice tweeks. My favorite so far, is the ability to control when an app uses my location. I typically keep it off when not in use, but now I can specify that if an app isn't open, it isn't able to use my location.

The swipe-up control panel is nice now, too. It can be customized (somewhat) to include what I use most.

Overall, a nice upgrade. Nothing is broken or works more poorly than before I upgraded.

I just updated my ipad pro. The "File Folder" seems to be a joke. I can only seem to access files in icloud. I don't like that I can no longer superimpose the settings over the app I'm working with to quickly adjust the brightness. ugh apple.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I just updated my ipad pro. The "File Folder" seems to be a joke. I can only seem to access files in icloud. I don't like that I can no longer superimpose the settings over the app I'm working with to quickly adjust the brightness. ugh apple.

It seems as if iOS 11 is a much bigger change for iPads than iPhones. Some of those changes might simply be a change in HOW to do things.

One weird instance I've noticed right off the bat is the auto-brightness feature was relocated from Settings>>Display and Brightness to Settings>>General>>Accessibility>>Display Accomodations (makes zero sense.)

I'm not sure why it took me so long, but it turns out that it's still in auto, and seems to behave, as follows:

1. Turn brightness manually to max: will stay at max

2. Turn back down to min (after watching a video, for instance): will control in auto, and raise brightness (or maintain min) based on ambient lighting.

So, I was initially annoyed until I figured out what they'd done. Hopefully it's the same in your instance.

Iphone 7 here. Usual practice is waiting a week or 2 before upgrading iOS but this time, gonna wait at least a month before upgrading to iOS11. I am sure in a few weeks they will release all kinds of patches to fix bugs.

It's still a task to attach a file to an email. Why can't I simply attach a file that's stored on the device?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Iphone 7 here. Usual practice is waiting a week or 2 before upgrading iOS but this time, gonna wait at least a month before upgrading to iOS11. I am sure in a few weeks they will release all kinds of patches to fix bugs.

I did that when I first got my iPhone 6 Plus (first and only iPhone I've owned.) iOS 10 seemed to work well right off the bat for me. Since then I've upgraded as soon as an upgrade is available and haven't noticed any issues. I do so, because I need the latest security patches more than an UI changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back