Hellcat OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can there be any justification for this quote from the Hellcat owner's manual? If mine is parked 4 months a year and driven 3k a year, I'd likely be doing a 500 mile and a 2,500 mile OCI each year. Seems silly, but don't want any warranty issues.

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or six months,
whichever occurs first.

Only that they may deny your warranty if you do not follow the owner's manual. Two OC's per year is hardly breaking the bank; shop for rebates, you should be able to find a few. A guy I know has a 2016 Plum Crazy HC and drives it less than 100 miles per year. #garagequeen

Maybe just try to coincide your oil change so it hits the halfway mark in mileage.

2 OCI at 1500 with 2 months of sitting on each fill.

If you're not driving it why buy it?

It ain't gaining value, is it?.

That what Haters may say ...
frown.gif

I would say that mileage is for cars that are DRIVEN not sitting. Work it out with your service manager and get it in writing. No need to OVERCHANGE the oil. more harm will likely come with OVERCHANGING than a slightly L-O-N-G OCI. If you are just fair weather driver, get it off the road working with your insurer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's silly is driving a $70k-$80k car 3,000 miles a year

I wasn't asking what you thought of what I do with my car and my money.

Thanks to the others that contributed something worthwhile.

You all realize he's in Michigan right? Driving that car year round is really not an option. Super common here to have a "winter beater" and only drive your nice car in the summer. Unless you want ot to rot away of course.

Originally Posted By: jkasch
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's silly is driving a $70k-$80k car 3,000 miles a year

I wasn't asking what you thought of what I do with my car and my money. Thanks to the others that contributed something worthwhile.

+1. I just love those members that smugly criticize others for the way they choose to use their cars. I have owned my 2016 Scat Pack for one year as of today and have just over 2,200 miles. I change the oil every 6 months as specified in the manual. It looks like I am on track for 1,000 mile OCIs.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
You all realize he's in Michigan right? Driving that car year round is really not an option. Super common here to have a "winter beater" and only drive your nice car in the summer. Unless you want ot to rot away of course.

This is true.
If I had the money to buy an $80,000 vehicle, I would not want to drive it in the salt and snow/ice, as well as the increased chance of an accident or other damage.

But since I don't have that kind of cash and don't have to worry about salt/snow/ice, I can make all the stupid comments I want about why buy a car if you are not going to drive it.
I can also make comments about if you spend that kind of cash on a vehicle that spends most of it's time unused, then don't whine about spending an extra $100 a year on it.
Sell it if you are going to whine about it, or suck it up and deal with a "problem" that 99% of the world does not have to even think about.

If it were my vehicle and the situation the OP is in, I would change the oil once a year, screw the warranty. At 3000 miles a year, the vehicle will be at 9,000 miles when the warranty is up (it is a 3 yr/36,000 mile, correct).

Or as said above, change the oil a week or so before you put it into your 4 month storage, then change it 2 months after you take it out. Still would work out to about 800 miles on one change, 2200 on the other.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

This is true.
If I had the money to buy an $80,000 vehicle, I would not want to drive it in the salt and snow/ice, as well as the increased chance of an accident or other damage.

But since I don't have that kind of cash and don't have to worry about salt/snow/ice, I can make all the stupid comments I want about why buy a car if you are not going to drive it.
I can also make comments about if you spend that kind of cash on a vehicle that spends most of it's time unused, then don't whine about spending an extra $100 a year on it.
Sell it if you are going to whine about it, or suck it up and deal with a "problem" that 99% of the world does not have to even think about.

If it were my vehicle and the situation the OP is in, I would change the oil once a year, screw the warranty. At 3000 miles a year, the vehicle will be at 9,000 miles when the warranty is up (it is a 3 yr/36,000 mile, correct).

Or as said above, change the oil a week or so before you put it into your 4 month storage, then change it 2 months after you take it out. Still would work out to about 800 miles on one change, 2200 on the other.

I won't take any issue with your comments being stupid, but I will take issue with me whining about anything. My question was what possible sense could a 6 month oci make regardless of mileage. That is all.

For all the Dr. Phil wannabes posting about mental state: I retired, I can afford it, I drive it when the weather is nice, and want to keep it pristine. Probably my last "fun" car. It makes me happy. I posted for information, not therapy.

Anyone that feels compelled to make stupid comments, have at it. Free country.

With all the technology and computer power on these cars, you would think they would have a setting for winter storage modes for going into storage and coming out of storage.

There are plenty of stout oils that could handle the one year OCI.

I wonder what Tesla owners worry about besides oil changes. ;-)

Change the oil once when you take it out of storage and once halfway through the season. That should cover both bases.

Can there be any justification for this quote from the Hellcat owner's manual? If mine is parked 4 months a year and driven 3k a year, I'd likely be doing a 500 mile and a 2,500 mile OCI each year. Seems silly, but don't want any warranty issues.

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or six months,
whichever occurs first.

Simple really, just change the oil as per the manual
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher

This is true.

I won't take any issue with your comments being stupid, but I will take issue with me whining about anything. My question was what possible sense could a 6 month oci make regardless of mileage. That is all.

Keeping your warranty in tact.

Even for 8 months of driving a year 3000 miles is not much driving. Add that quarter of the year and you get to what, 4000? I'd follow the manual. Or buy the proper supplies to leave a paper trail and just keep them in the garage for later.

I know it's for the warranty. I should have stated what possible technical reason could there be. I enjoy changing the oil myself and I'm getting the oil and filter from the dealer for free the first five times. I was hoping to generate some tribological reasons, or be told it's complete B$ and an FCA revenue generator.

Never mind, I'm good.
smile.gif

The 6 month interval is for the short trippers out there that may only drive 2500 miles in 6 months, 2 miles at a time. That constant start stop with little or no warm-up is hard on the oil (condensation, fuel dilution etc).
If you are getting the oil up to temperature each time you drive (like at least a 30 minute drive) you would be fine with an annual change, but FCA has to play safe, if they said 6 months for severe driving, and 1 year for regular, the short trippers would say "I don't drive much, I am a regular interval" and end up with a sludged engine.

Only way to get the real answer would talk to the Mopar man, nobody here knows for sure. I wouldn't be too bent out of shape over it, though. Ain't nothing wrong with changing the oil frequently on a beauty like that, especially for the cash you got invested in her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back