Replacing Shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After nearly 4,000 miles with me, and who knows how many miles with the original owner, it appears to be time to replace the Shimano BB-5500 bottom bracket on my Specialized Allez Elite 9-speed.

I've never done this before. From the picture (attached), it looks as if either the special 8 tooth socket can be used to remove the ring from the "outside" or the 20 tooth socket can be used to remove it from the "inside". Am I interpreting this correctly?

When it comes to BB's in my son's race bike, I just leave it to the pro's. I have several "go to" guys with decades of experience and knowledge.

With the right tool, it's an easy job as long as the bike hasn't been abused or unmaintained.

On my old mtb's I'd try a few whacks with a screw driver and hammer to spin off the lock nut. Put the frame with the bb resting on top of the workbench so you're not stressing the frame with hammer blows atleast.

Local bike shop should have the proper tools available for purchase or they could do the install for ya. Remember, the left side is reverse threaded.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
On my old mtb's I'd try a few whacks with a screw driver and hammer to spin off the lock nut. Put the frame with the bb resting on top of the workbench so you're not stressing the frame with hammer blows atleast.

No... just no. Unless your talking about a old, low end basic steel frame.

Park Tool makes a driver to R&R those from a BB shell, the standard Shimano-type tool will work. The toothed part is the "adapter" for the drive(chain ring) side in most cases but pay attention, you don't want to cross-thread these. In any case, apply some copper-based anti-seize to the BB shell and the BB threads when installing the new one. Install the adapter first, and then the BB.

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-22

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

No... just no. Unless your talking about a old, low end basic steel frame.

Well, I've got an old Kona Stuff (35lb Al hardtail)so it's not fragile, but I agree not every bike will tolerate working on it like old farm equipment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back