Mixing mobil 1high mileage with rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can i mix rotella t4 and mobil 1 high mileage to make my own syn blend for better cold starts this winter? 94 f150 302 165000 miles. Or will the additives not blend?

Originally Posted By: chevytherealdeal
Can i mix rotella t4 and mobil 1 high mileage to make my own syn blend for better cold starts this winter? 94 f150 302 165000 miles. Or will the additives not blend?

They all blend. No issues. Some may not be "optimum", but no one here has EVER shown a real problem with mixing oil.

Mix away.

The oil will mix fine, the outcome is anyone's guess though. The problem is there is no guarantee your blend is going to be 'better' for cold winter starts. It might be, and it might not be better. I'd pick one oil and use it, if you're concerned with cold starts get a 0W30 synthetic.

If you're mixing a 20/30 grade Mobil 1 with Rotella, they have very different chemical add packs. I wouldn't bother. Now at least the M1 0w-40 is similar. And I would suspect so are the other M1 40/50 grades.

Why would you want to? Wouldn't it make more sense to get a quality synthetic blend instead? Motocraft, Valvoline Maxlife, etc., there are a bunch of quality blends to choose from. I believe your owner's manual calls 5w30 cold weather and 10w30 rest of the year. I'm too lazy to go out to the Bronco and check

It will mix, and not blow chunks, nor drop the additives out of suspension.

But if you are doing it to improve cold start performance, that's precisely the area that the (very) rare industry examples of issues have occurred...

What's the viscosity of the M1 that you are planning on using ?

Haven't seen that info.

what temperature are you trying to improve it at ?

The chemist / mixologist's spend countless hrs if not months building / blending / testing / to create the most effective engine oil they can (at a given price) When you mix 2 or more it completely changes the chemistry of both oils. Don't do it. There's only downside

Originally Posted By: Phishin

They all blend. No issues. Some may not be "optimum", but no one here has EVER shown a real problem with mixing oil.

Yes I have, people just choose to ignore or discount it.

There are a (small) number of SAE papers that explore a whole bunch of engine failures that occurred in the USA as a result of changing the factory fill with the first service fill, and the residual and new oils not behaving together and causing pumpability failures at quite elevated temperatures.

They occurred...ASTM D6922 (the miscibility standard) doesn't address it...and if you are going to have problems, particularly with the OP's trying to improve cold weather performance, that's where they will occur.

Why people mix different brands of oil will never make sense to me. Use M1 HM 5W-30 if you're worried about cold weather performance.

The chemist / mixologist's spend countless hrs if not months building / blending / testing / to create the most effective engine oil they can (at a given price) When you mix 2 or more it completely changes the chemistry of both oils. Don't do it. There's only downside

Sounds like a cheap Motella ...
I mix a little within the same family like M1 5w30 with M1 10w30 - and normally just a quart or two in six ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back