Best Motorcycle H4 55/60W Halogen Bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to upgrade the headlight bulbs on my bike with something slightly higher color temp, but stay with Halogen don't want LED. I'm looking at Osram Night Breaker and they look pretty good and are built as motorcycle specific usage in mind, i.e. more tolerant of vibration (and the Guzzi has some vibes).

Any other vibration resistant H4 bulbs out there competitive to Osram?

https://www.osram.com/am/light-for/light-for-motorcycles/index.jsp

may want to have a look at the wiring; if it's light duty (ie. high resistance, and hence low voltage), you may get some significant benefits from upgrading it with a relay kit (like the plug-and-play Eastern Beaver kits).... (could also combine this with a decent 100/55 bulb and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the lighting you get - did both of these with my VTR and it worked very well, am now running a Cyclops LED kit, very happy)

A relay kit will help a lot. It is amazing how small OEM wires are for bikes.

I am debating making a relay kit for mine, but there are pre-made ones for not too expensive as well that are plug and play.
The Eastern Beaver kit is a popular option. It has smaller relays that fit almost anywhere.

With a relay kit, you could run a higher wattage bulb as well for even more light (so long as the housing does not overheat).
I have seen a few running this 80w/85w H4 bulb. With an upgraded relay kit, it will put out a lot of light.

This is the Osram bulb I run in every bike that takes a H4 bulb, it is a 85/80w bulb but if you want light you need the watts.
http://www.rallylights.com/h4-12v-osram-hyper-bulb-not-legal-for-highway-use.html
I use it in my two Honda's and my Suzuki, great bulb. Have not had one burn out in over 15 years(I do change my bulbs every 50,000 miles). I also changed over my '13 Jeep to run H4 bulbs and now I can see at night and no, no one has flashed their lights at my Jeep or bikes. Well, not unless I forget to switch off my highbeams. LOL

ROD

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Uggghhh.... You got a brand new Moto Guzzi, and you're already changing stuff!

Whats wrong with upgrading a lackluster stock cheapy?

Originally Posted By: Mik
may want to have a look at the wiring; if it's light duty (ie. high resistance, and hence low voltage), you may get some significant benefits from upgrading it with a relay kit (like the plug-and-play Eastern Beaver kits).... (could also combine this with a decent 100/55 bulb and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the lighting you get - did both of these with my VTR and it worked very well, am now running a Cyclops LED kit, very happy)

As long as heat build-up is properly considered.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Uggghhh.... You got a brand new Moto Guzzi, and you're already changing stuff!

Whats wrong with upgrading a lackluster stock cheapy?

Thank you !!

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

As long as heat build-up is properly considered.

duly considered. At low speeds (with little cooling air), the 55W low element works and the 100W only sees use at higher speeds when there is sufficient cooling air. Of course, every bike has its particularities, but |I ran this set-up for a few years on my VTR and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
A relay kit will help a lot. It is amazing how small OEM wires are for bikes.

I am debating making a relay kit for mine, but there are pre-made ones for not too expensive as well that are plug and play.
The Eastern Beaver kit is a popular option. It has smaller relays that fit almost anywhere.

With a relay kit, you could run a higher wattage bulb as well for even more light (so long as the housing does not overheat).
I have seen a few running this 80w/85w H4 bulb. With an upgraded relay kit, it will put out a lot of light.

thanks for confirming what I wrote a few posts earlier.....

I have to watch heat. The Guzzi is a side-by side dual headlight bucket, plastic, and there is already a known issue with the reflective layer peeling off topside if guys run with high beams on most of the time. Granted, I don't believe in running high beams during daylight, but those who have apparently have reported that issue?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Might try yellow tinted bulbs, depending on how well they work at night. Saw a bike the other day in daylight with them and they stood out in traffic pretty good. Want to be seen seen seen by motorists but not by excessive glare or poor cutoff characteristics (LED in Halogen housing). Or high beams in daylight.

http://mtqinc.com/nokyausa/headlights/hyP/hyP.php

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/45-H4-Plasma-Ion-Twin-Beam-Halogen-Bulbs-Single-Pack.aspx

Agree, for me personally, that nice bright blue shine of the higher color temperature lamps looks super sweet when your looking at the bike, they "show" nice.

BUT if you want to be seen, golden or yellow color lights are the way to go, they stand out much better in daylight.
I run a stock headlight bulb but in the OEM driving lights of my Road King I run yellow/gold bulbs.
I have tried two types both good, I cant remember which is which but will get back to you if I figure it out.

I think the Nokya were the brightest, to the point of getting flashed at night by other cars, so I bought DOT approved bulb and it toned down, now not getting flashed alot, I assume it will last longer too.

Here is a photo, the "color" stands out on the interstate, vs a shiny white bluish bulb, I think, anyway.

Last edited:
thanks for confirming what I wrote a few posts earlier.....

Just provided some links with it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Agree, for me personally, that nice bright blue shine of the higher color temperature lamps looks super sweet when your looking at the bike, they "show" nice.

BUT if you want to be seen, golden or yellow color lights are the way to go, they stand out much better in daylight.
I run a stock headlight bulb but in the OEM driving lights of my Road King I run yellow/gold bulbs.
I have tried two types both good, I cant remember which is which but will get back to you if I figure it out.

I was looking for amber LED aux lights for mine (the 4.5" daymaker type), but nobody makes them that I can find, all are the 5000-6000K color. I now have the 2 LED and my stock halogen headlight. While it looks odd with the bright white on sides and "dim" halogen headlight, I think it does help it stand out a little more.

Okay, I'm inclined to try the standard beam with yellow aux/fog lights like alarmguy has going on. Yellow for the mains would be too much on my bike since it has dual beams side-by-side.

These are the correct type for my fogs, in stock locally, $17.49 on sale:

OPTILUX-XY-H3-FRONT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back