16/17 Colorado/Canyon Vs. 16/17 F150 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Folks I'm in the market for a truck no older than 1 to 2 years. I dont need alot to hardly any tow capacity other than a few hundred pound kayak trailer. I do travel for work and MPG is important which has me leaning towards the Colorado or f series ecoboost, I like the 24-26 hwy mileage that both advertise. I dont know much about the engines in either, especially looking for info on f150 3.5NA vs 2.7 twin turbo as I am leaning towards the full size f150. I thought I sold myself on the duramax colorado until some research shows alot of issues with that engine. Just looking for opinions on either truck, I value the opinion of this forum when it comes to car shopping. One other note is that whether I buy new or 1 to 2 years old I plan to have a 5 to 7 year 100k to 150k warranty, at least on the powertrain. I'm also shopping in the 22k to 28k price range. Also not opposed to other makes, looking forward to hearing what the forum has to say, thanks.

Check out fuelly.com for real world mileage. You can sort by engine.

The diesel Canyon/Colorado gets similar mileage to my Jeep; 25 average and 28-29 on the highway while using cruise control. The gas one, less so.

The Ecoboost pickups get mileage that's only marginally better than the 5.0 V8, but it is a full-size truck with more interior space than the midsize Canyon/Colorado.

I thought about a Colorado, even posted here about it.

Really don't see the point when Silverados are discounted so heavily. You'd need a Crew Cab longbed colorado to get the same cargo capacity as a extended cab silverado. I just don't see the point unless you absolutely want a smaller truck. Also the V6 in the Colorado sounds terrible, the V8 in the Silverado is so much better.

I know several people with the Ecoboost F150, zero complaints. I drove one a while back and they're actually pretty quick, minimal turbo lag as well.

I'm a Chevy guy but not a spend $ 35,000 on a midsize truck guy.

They are both nice trucks- best in class.

The F150 3.5 is the same 3.5 Ford has been making since 2007 so it's capable. IIRC it's around 300hp so no slouch - not sure about the MPG.
The 2.7 gets good mileage if you keep your foot out of it (like all turbos). Guys say it's fun to drive as there is power nearly everywhere. The Ecoboost 3.5 is sports car quick in a truck.

You can't go wrong with either - drive them both and buy what you like.

Last edited:
GM's 3.6l v6 is a very good engine with few problems. If you go that route get the v6.
Very little mpg difference and more reliable and more power.
My 2 cents

Originally Posted By: itguy08
They are both nice trucks- best in class.

The F150 3.5 is the same 3.5 Ford has been making since 2007 so it's capable. IIRC it's around 300hp so no slouch - not sure about the MPG.
The 2.7 gets good mileage if you keep your foot out of it (like all turbos). Guys say it's fun to drive as there is power nearly everywhere. The Ecoboost 3.5 is sports car quick in a truck.

You can't go wrong with either - drive them both and buy what you like.

When you say the 3.5 is sports car quick in a truck your talking about the turbo right, not the N/A? I dont see alot of 3.5 turbos in my shopping. If I buy used it will probably be from carmax and most all the F150s are either 2.7s or 3.5 non turbos.

The 2.7 seems well regarded and only just barely slower than the 3.5 eco. As others have mentioned, thoroughly drive each and go from there.

I rented a 3.6 Ram in Colorado and was actually surprised with it, not a slouch at all. I'm kind of a power junkie though, which makes the Ecoboost motors enticing. Lots of good choices out there, good luck!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Take some serious test drives and pick which one feels the best to you.

+1

Id go for the 5.0 V8 F150, but thats just me. Sounds like the 2.7 would serve you well enough though. Alot of MPG can be made by driving gently. Test drive each one.

Those being trucks in different categories just drive them enough to make some maneuvers and pick a size. Also, I'm 6-1' and it's easier for me to grab things from the bed of my "lifted" 4WD Canyon than BiL's new F150 2WD.
Majority will tend to pick full size - I did for many years ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Id go for the 5.0 V8 F150, but thats just me. Sounds like the 2.7 would serve you well enough though. Alot of MPG can be made by driving gently. Test drive each one.

It's not just you, it's me too and around ~ 9 out of every 10 Ford mechanics.

If you're going to spend that much,just buy a new 2017 at a deal price. I'd buy the 5.0 over the eco boost engine. Too much complexity with the eco boost,particulary,if it's used. Jmo

Since you're looking for mpg, go with the F150 with the NA 3.5. I had one as a rental vehicle for a month, and regularly got 24mg on the highway at 75mph. Ecoboost will not get the same mpg.

The 2.7 would be my choice. Low rpm torque when you want it and fuel economy to boot. I average 19-20mpg at 70mph in my 3.5TT in western Canada in the summer with the family.

Mileage from my 2.8 Durmax since I got it...

Last couple of intervals have been moving house around town, often with trailer.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA

When you say the 3.5 is sports car quick in a truck your talking about the turbo right, not the N/A? I dont see alot of 3.5 turbos in my shopping. If I buy used it will probably be from carmax and most all the F150s are either 2.7s or 3.5 non turbos.

Yeah the 3.5 Turbo. The 2.7 is quite quick too. I'm surprised there are not more Ecoboost 3.5's out there - supposedly it makes up a large percentage of F150 sales.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Iowegian
GM's 3.6l v6 is a very good engine with few problems. If you go that route get the v6.
My 2 cents

Did they FINALLY fix the timing chain failures that start at about 100K miles.

I will not buy the 3.6 for that reason. All the chain, sprockets, guides tensioners etc it is well over $1000, some run $2500.

Rod

I had this same question during the 15 model year and ultimately went with the 2.7 F150. It seemed like it could do everything the Colorado could do except was a bit bigger which is always nice to have the extra space. I've been above 25 mpg commuting and then when I have my race trailer attached it pulls like nothing is behind it.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Originally Posted By: Iowegian
My 2 cents

Did they FINALLY fix the timing chain failures that start at about 100K miles.

I will not buy the 3.6 for that reason. All the chain, sprockets, guides tensioners etc it is well over $1000, some run $2500.

Rod

Yes they did fix that.
One of the very few issues they had and it was the lfx engine introduced around 2012.
I would stay awsy from 2012 and 2013 years.

I believe GM extended the warranty out for those engines.

If you want a midsize, then buy the Colorado.

If you want a full size, then a 3.5 na or 2.7 F150 sound like they fit the bill.

I'm averaging 19.5 mpg with my 16 2.7 F150 supcrew 4x4. It delivers 22+ mpg in freeway driving doing 75 or less...

Lots of fun to drive and tows a trailer easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back