Hartford (AARP) auto INsurance increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Hartford auto insurance and live in SW Florida. My insurance went from $1000 to $1414 yearly premium in one year. I have zero claims, no accidents with my 2014 CX5. I am interested in hearing from others who live in FL and their insurance and cost. A call to the Hartford rechecked all my discounts like safe drivers, drivers class, max deductibles etc. Getting tired of paying for Jerks and illegals who drive without insurance. Ed

Apparently regular auto insurance has been break-even or a money loser for the last four years because of texting cell phone jerks.

Also insurance is just a tool to hold your money while they invest it in the stock market. With homeowners insurance cashing out to pay for hurricanes, the stocks slide, and your auto insurance gets more expensive as it has to carry its own.

Cheap gas = more miles driven.
Distracted drivers = more accidents
Record low bond yields = less investment income to subsidize rates

Hurricane Irma has scared insurance companies from wanting to do business in Florida. If insurance companies do sell in Florida, they are probably going to gouge the consumer for a while.

Insurance rates are not solely based on your driving/accident record. As others have stated-there are other issues at play. Including some YOU MENTIONED.

Shop around.

Last edited:
Find a good independent agent and get quotes from a number of companies.
Time to shop.

Consumer Reports had a lengthy article about car insurance within the past 6 months. I would read it and see if there are suggestions.

Are you a veteran=USAA?

Geico?

Local companies?

mine went up in Wa st about 25% from last year. i have not had a claim in 20 years. i called and asked them why and they said the cost of fixing new vehicle with all the bags and electronics has driven it up .

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Find a good independent agent and get quotes from a number of companies.
Time to shop.

Best way to go in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Hurricane Irma has scared insurance companies from wanting to do business in Florida. If insurance companies do sell in Florida, they are probably going to gouge the consumer for a while.

Except most state governments have an insurance commissioner that works to make that not the situation.

I checked on USAA insurance. Their car policy premium was much cheaper than my insurer but their renter's policy premium was much higher so there was no advantage to changing.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
I checked on USAA insurance. Their car policy premium was much cheaper than my insurer but their renter's policy premium was much higher so there was no advantage to changing.

So you can't break up the two?

Just got my auto insurance policy renewal from Allstate, and it went up 10% from the previous six months. Big jump compared to previous years.

I know from past experience that Allstate will jack up rates when they lose a lot of money because of hurricanes. Time to shop around again.

The uninsured fee is not much in NH. Maybe $30/year. What is your actual fee before griping over "illegals".

Bad timing for insurance renewal. You guys pick to live in a place with severe weather and they just lost 200-400k vehicles. Your rates will only increase to conpensate. I'd poke around but don't be surprised if it's more or similar.

Don't forget all the insurance fraud, staged accidents and fake injuries, pain clinics, doctors and accident attorneys all have their hand in making your rates go up.

Florida is in the top 3 states for insurance fraud every year.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver

So keep your renter's policy and switch auto policies...

I am in the insurance business on the finance side.

Automobile claim frequency (number of claims divided by number of cars) has been on the increase the past few years. Before that it had been on the decrease. Rates are starting to catch up to this worsening trend in number of claims is the short answer.

Insurance companies sometimes try to keep rates lower than they should be in hopes that they will not lose too many customers, and that the claim experience will somehow improve to the point where the business stops losing money. At some point they realize that claim experience is not going to improve and they need higher premium rates in order to stop the bleeding.

Last edited:
Hi madRiver. I have read in our newspaper that 1 in seven drivers in SW FL have no auto insurance. In that case. it cost my insurance to be increased by ~ $200 or 14%. I think I did the math correctly. This assumes that the non-insured have a proportionately the same percentage of accidents as the law abiding insured people, which I doubt very much. ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back