Spare tire secondary lock removed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never able to get the spare tire down on my 06 Escalade (same as tahoe, Suburban, Yukon) because of that secondary lock. I gave up and went to the dealer and they fixed it. Today I finally decided to try it. Down it came easily.

Would appear the dealer replacement has no secondary lock?

I don't see a P/N just what appears to be a date code

Also, this is first time I was able to take tire down so I have no clue how tight is tight. Can anyone tell me how tight its supposed to be? In this pic i have the spring slightly compressed. A little bit tighter than it was from the dealer. Seems tight, doesnt move when I kick it

What lock are you talking about?

As for the tightness - I usually crank mine tight enough that it does not swing around. If you put it too tight, you will leave dents/impressions in the tire sidewall (just a cosmetic concern).

I do the maintenance for an elderly neighbors Chevy Colorado. I put a 6' bike lock cable with an oiled weather resistant padlock through the wheel and through the hitch. Told him to put a key on each key ring for the truck.

The secondary lock is pointless IMO. Never knew in some places spare tire theft is a thing.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
What lock are you talking about?

There is a latch on the tire carrier that locks into the pulley assembly. The latch can seize up as you try to lower the spare tire where you will just end up lowering the cable and spring part only.

no secondary on my Toyota either, surprised we don't see more spares bouncing around the roads.

Gm went back away from that dumb lock in 07 or 08. There is a way you can pop that lock with a pry bar when it won't unlatch but I don't remember how I used to do it.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
The secondary lock is pointless IMO. Never knew in some places spare tire theft is a thing.

Theft isn't the concern. Keeps the spare from falling off.

Yes, the photos show a tire hoist with no secondary latch.

My truck has the secondary latch and I haven't had any issues with it. The latch engaged once and the tire would not come down and all I had to do was to use a screwdriver to prevent the secondary latch from engaging as I lowered the tire.

I keep the hoist assembly well treated with Krown and therefore there is no rust on the cable. Years ago a friend had his spare fall off on his G3500 van (he noticed and retrieved the spare) because the cable rusted through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back