Going up a grade in 14 Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has been asking me about the advisibilty of going up a grade in his truck. He has the 5.3 ecotec3 and GM is pretty clear that 0w-20 is the only recommended grade. However he is interested because he tows a lot in running 5w-30 instead. Because the truck has VVT, cylinder deactivation, and a variable speed oil pump I'm not sure how to advise. Has anyone done this? Warranty is not a primary concern. The plan is to keep the truck forever.

5w-30. GM has been running this grade for years. Stick with it. 10w-30 if you don't expect really cold starts or find a good deal.

My last 3 cars have recommended 0w-20 and I ran Xw-30 with no difference in fuel economy or cold starting.

Not sure that i've seen a UOA suggesting 0W20 isn't enough for these engines. Perhaps try running the spec and getting it tested.

Member Gonefishing has posted UOA's for both 0w-20 and 0w-30 for that motor. If I remember correctly there wasn't much difference.

Last edited:
Use a dexos 5w30
smile.gif

Cylinder deactivation would scare me away from using a thicker oil. I wonder if that's the equivalent to repeated "cold starts",hence the 0W20 spec?

I find it hilarious that people automatically assume that using 0w20 = wont be able to handle towing or anything too harsh. Not sure you will see any difference using 5w30 so why not just keep using whats recommended? What benefit do you expect to see by using 5w30?

On a ram forum, some are using 5/30 in the 5.7 with mds without any issues. Seems the benefit is eliminating the hemi tick.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I find it hilarious that people automatically assume that using 0w20 = wont be able to handle towing or anything too harsh. Not sure you will see any difference using 5w30 so why not just keep using whats recommended? What benefit do you expect to see by using 5w30?

I'm just asking to get opinions and see if anyone has done it. I didn't get too far with UOA searches because it's an out of spec oil that I'm thinking of. It would make him feel a little better to use it when towing 10,000+ lbs. Even without a trailer the truck is loaded with tools constantly. I suppose the expected benefit is some additional protection and longevity. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back