EBAY vs. OEM Toyota Air Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a comparison of an no name EBAY air filter vs a Toyota 17801-YYZZ04 filter for my 2.7l Tacoma truck. I bought the ebay no-name combo air/cabin filter for $12 shipped and got the OEM on AMAZON $14 shipped. I ran the ebay filter approximently 30k miles when I decided to change it out. My first comparison was that the OEM filter weighed 7 oz. and the ebay was 5.10 oz. im assuming because of less plies, Toyota claims a 3 layer ply, so I cut open the EBAY filter and could only count one layer, although thick there wasn't 3 plies. Also I noted that putting in the OEM filter in the housing was a tighter fit and took a little more effort to clip it in giving an airtight seal. Although the cheaper filter did work for the 30k miles im not sure if it filtered as effective as the OE filter will. These are just some observations Ive made and might help others who are thinking about using a less costlier filter for their vehicles.

Nice comparison. I won't think of changing any of my air filters for a good while. When I do, I usually just go to Wally and see what they have that'll fit.

$12 vs $14 isn't that much of a price difference. If I can get OEM stuff for close to an aftermarket part, I'll choose OEM.

Oh no, I just ordered the $11 ebay combo special for my toyota. Fortunately, air filters barely get dirty in prius in 30,000 miles (even the OEM ones i used in the past, LOL), except for cabin filters.

Kind of you to pass along wwhat everyone should learn--OEM is the way to go.

Plus I will trust Amazon over Fleabay every time. Great return policy and actusl customer support.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Nice comparison. I won't think of changing any of my air filters for a good while. When I do, I usually just go to Wally and see what they have that'll fit.

$12 vs $14 isn't that much of a price difference. If I can get OEM stuff for close to an aftermarket part, I'll choose OEM.
the $12 was for a cabin and a Air filter, the other was just an OEM filter

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Oh no, I just ordered the $11 ebay combo special for my toyota. Fortunately, air filters barely get dirty in prius in 30,000 miles (even the OEM ones i used in the past, LOL), except for cabin filters.
I wouldn't worry too much about using it, they do work, but maybe not as efficiently as the higher priced OEMs. It seems my truck has a little lugging going on due to the more air restrictive filter, kinda of the same feeling you would get if you would put a AFE pro dry or other performance type filters that offer less air restriction but are short on filtering the air as well as OEM Paper filters but in reverse order.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Plus I will trust Amazon over Fleabay every time. Great return policy and actusl customer support.

Cheers
very true, im one of those people who always looking for a usable replacement at less cost and equal performance. when it comes to Toyotas OEM parts are the way to go, just got to shop around for the best prices, im learning

Originally Posted By: jrvn
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Cheers
very true, im one of those people who always looking for a usable replacement at less cost and equal performance. when it comes to Toyotas OEM parts are the way to go, just got to shop around for the best prices, im learning

Very true and I just picked up my Toyota Corolla filter for $10.40 from them with free shipping!

Another tidbit of info, I went to a new opening for AUTOZONE an store they sell STP brand air filters and cabin filters, the air filter was made in CHINA and was very flimsy construction and the cabin filter was USA made but was also extremely thin paper compared to the OEM cabin filter, it definetly appears the OEM Toyota filters are the best constructed Ive come across and are competitively priced online. I also looked into the DENSO#143-3007 brand air filter for my 2.7l engine they are also Chinese manufactor and is identical looking to the STP brand air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back