Wife won a raffle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife entered a raffle at a nearby Harley dealer we visited with some friends on a ride a month or so ago. They drew the winning tickets this past weekend, $10 bought 10 tickets. They were raffling off a couple of outdoor grills, and a couple of truck bed tool boxes. They called yesterday and told me she had won a truck bed tool box. I drove to the dealership this morning and went to load the tool box into my truck and the guy who was in charge of the raffle said, oh.....the tool box is damaged! He said he didn't know how it got damaged, but what does one expect for a dollar?
mad.gif
I proceeded to tell him I expected a new undamaged tool box! He said he would call the company who donated the tool box and try to get them to replace it. I feel it got damaged at the dealership. He said I could take a hammer and pound out the softball sized dent in the top of the tool box.
mad.gif
I told him that they didn't advertise raffling off a damaged tool box and that I wanted a new one! The manager was off today but I got her name and number in case I need to go to the higher ups. The tool box is nothing special, {black diamond patterned painted aluminum} and I don't have a need for it, but I told him it's just the principle of it all. Did I do the right thing?

If you are happy that is all that matters.
I wouldn't have complained as being in business for four decades I try not to do things such as that.
I suspect it was donated because it was damaged!
I have no issue with what you did. You were right anyway.

"I suspect it was donated because it was damaged!"

The dealership raffled off two tool boxes, one smaller one and one larger one. My wife won the smaller one which was damaged but the larger one was undamaged. I saw them both.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Was this a charity raffle? If so, I wouldn't make too much of a stink.
Good point dishdude. Yes, it was a charity raffle.

What kind of low life company donates a dented toolbox?
I garrantee the donation company wrote the donation off if it was charity or got something in exchange. It certainly wasn't the goodness of thier heart.
You most certainly should demand a new tool box. You bought a chance on a new tool box, like you said not on damaged goods. The guy had nerve to.make the comment what you get for a buck and even try to pass it off on you.
Good you stood up.

Think of it this way. It's pre-dented so you won't feel bad if you put another dent in it.

You got if for $1 or even $10 at a charity auction, so relax.

If you don't like it, I bet you could sell it for $50 with the dent.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
$10 bought 10 tickets.... I don't have a need for it

Sell it for $100 and take your wife out for a nice meal.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
$10 bought 10 tickets.... I don't have a need for it

Sell it for $100 and take your wife out for a nice meal.

+1 Anything over $10 is a profit so sell it if you don't want to keep it any take the mrs. out someplace nice.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Was this a charity raffle? If so, I wouldn't make too much of a stink.
Good point dishdude. Yes, it was a charity raffle.

Enough said, if they make good on it fine, if they don't I wouldn't pursue it any further. There are some things in life you have to let slide.

Did they do the right thing? No.

Are you doing the right thing? No.

It was a charity raffle. The charity got $10 from you.
You got a $10 tool box worth what, $100 even if damaged.
Did you see the tool box beforehand? As said, it was probably donated due to the damage.
Cheesy on the part of the person/company donating it if damaged, but if it was there before the raffle and you could see it, then fine. So long as the tool box is still functional, I would be fine with it.
I would also never visit that Harley dealer and whatever company donated it the box (if donated damaged) again (not that I have any desire to step into a Harley Dealer).

Do what you feel you have to do. Would I have accepted the dented box? Yea, but only if it was a charity raffle. If you feel you need a new one, pursue it.

I do have a somewhat humorous story on winning a raffle. About 10 years ago, I was working with a guy who won a brand-new Chevy pickup. It was given away by a local radio station and you had to be present at the drawing to win. The humorous part of this story was that his wife had moved out on him and the divorce was finalized about a week before he had purchased his ticket. She had her divorce lawyers look for every loophole that they could find for her to get her hands on that new pickup, but in the end he got to keep it with no strings attached.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Did they do the right thing? No.

Are you doing the right thing? No.

It was a charity raffle. The charity got $10 from you.
You got a $10 tool box worth what, $100 even if damaged.
Did you see the tool box beforehand? As said, it was probably donated due to the damage.
Cheesy on the part of the person/company donating it if damaged, but if it was there before the raffle and you could see it, then fine. So long as the tool box is still functional, I would be fine with it.
I would also never visit that Harley dealer and whatever company donated it the box (if donated damaged) again (not that I have any desire to step into a Harley Dealer).

That's how I feel about it. It's $10 to charity, but they should have also given the prize that was advertised. I'd let it ride, but now you know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back