Constant tension worm gear hose clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just have to mention, these things work awesome! This style with the bellville spring washer assembly that takes up slack from the expansion/contraction heat cycle of a hose.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7051504

I had to replace a small water bypass hose on the water pump for my Corolla and it's pretty much impossible to get the factory spring clamps back on there without a lift or removing the power steering pump, since it's on the back of the engine. I tried regular and lined heavy duty worm gear clamps and couldn't get it to stop leaking, but the constant tension ones has stayed leak free. Just an FYI if anyone has to use worm gear clamps and they end up leaking.

Last edited:
Nice to hear that these clamps worked out well for you, Drew. Another arrow to put into my quiver for situations like the infamous leaking hard-to-get-to heater hose. I had a similar situation with a Toyota Cressida almost two decades ago, ultimately I think I ended up double clamping with worm drives to get it to stop leaking. Back then I didn't know any better.

The constant tension clamps for the heater hoses in my truck are not working anymore. I'll swing by NAPA sometime this week hopefully.

Leaking at the heater core and pump housing. I originally thought my pump was leaking where the heater hose pipe meets the housing, but who knows now.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I need a couple of these. I wonder if they make 2" diameter ones.

Sure do almost to 7". I buy them in bulk from Rock.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/hoses/pipes+&+clamps,clamp

If you want it 100% leak free put a thin coat of Hylomar M (google for best price) on the hose nipple then just snug the clamp, you will still be able to remove the hose at any time in the future without difficulty.

For 25 years I have had 100% adequate performance simply reusing the tabbed spring clamps that came with the car. I only use replacement clamps if the hose nipple shows signs of significant pitting. If it ain't broke...

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
For 25 years I have had 100% adequate performance simply reusing the tabbed spring clamps that came with the car. I only use replacement clamps if the hose nipple shows signs of significant pitting. If it ain't broke...

So have I, but sometimes the location of hoses is detrimental to reusing the factory spring clamps since you have to have a large pair of vice grips to install them.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

So have I, but sometimes the location of hoses is detrimental to reusing the factory spring clamps since you have to have a large pair of vice grips to install them.

That's why I have the cable operated tool,

I had trouble with the genuine Toyota clamps I got from the dealer. only 3 out of 4 were able to slide on! I measured the diameter of one neck the clamp was supposed to go on and there was NO way the one from the dealer was going to fit. I double checked their part number and that's what Toyota said was correct. Not in this dimension! lol..

I went with a constant-tension worm hose clamp and PERFECT fit! I got mine from Oreilly. I've always liked the spring clamps the dealer has, but this is practically the same idea! No leaks just tightened it down til it was snug and not smashing the heck out of the hose end! lol

Originally Posted By: researcher
I had trouble with the genuine Toyota clamps I got from the dealer. only 3 out of 4 were able to slide on! I measured the diameter of one neck the clamp was supposed to go on and there was NO way the one from the dealer was going to fit. I double checked their part number and that's what Toyota said was correct. Not in this dimension! lol..

I went with a constant-tension worm hose clamp and PERFECT fit! I got mine from Oreilly. I've always liked the spring clamps the dealer has, but this is practically the same idea! No leaks just tightened it down til it was snug and not smashing the heck out of the hose end! lol

Was the hose an OEM hose? I had an aftermarket hose on my ECHO once and the clamps wouldn’t fit as you describe. I installed a Toyota hose and the clamps fit fine.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Was the hose an OEM hose? I had an aftermarket hose on my ECHO once and the clamps wouldn’t fit as you describe. I installed a Toyota hose and the clamps fit fine.

Yes it was an OEM Toyota hose, I liked that compared to aftermarket since it has a protective sleeve on it for debris impact. The aftermarket doesn't have that feature. I even measured the neck diameter of the water inlet and the clamp. NO way was that clamp ever going to open up enough to ever fit. Very odd, so I gave up on that one and used a constant tension worm clamp. been fine ever since.

Changing hoses shouldn't take that much time, it's not that difficult. So if a constant tension clamp gets the job done and quickly, it's a winner!

There had to be something else wrong then, the factory clamp will fit over the factory hose. On my ECHO the lower radiator hose uses two different part number clamps on the ends of the hose and they are not interchangeable. It could be that you had the wrong clamp part number.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There had to be something else wrong then, the factory clamp will fit over the factory hose. On my ECHO the lower radiator hose uses two different part number clamps on the ends of the hose and they are not interchangeable. It could be that you had the wrong clamp part number.

Nope it was the correct part number. I had ordered online (toyota dealer) so I went to my local dealer they pulled out the same part, measured it, was the same diameter when closed and opened. Measuring the inlet of the coolant neck (on engine) there was NO way it was getting on there. Then measured the original factory spring clamp and it was about 0.5" larger in diameter. It was clear that Toyota has the wrong part number listed.

The other three oem clamps fit perfectly. So nope, I did all I could to verify it was the wrong part. Gave up and used a constant tension clamp, done! Someday Toyota may fix their part number for my tC engine, but doesn't matter I've moved on to a solution that works well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back