1969 Mopar 440 under valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put new cast aluminum valve covers on my 69 440 last week, something I've been wanting to do for ages since the original stamped steel covers flex too much for modern hard silicone gaskets. The close proximity of the exhaust manifolds cooks softer covers and Permatex over time, so they always leak eventually. While I had it open, I took a quick shot of the driver's side rocker assembly. There aren't a lot of miles on the engine since the heads were re-done, but its been about 20 years. Rotella T6 most of the time, with a few fills of M1 0w40 thrown in. As expected, spotless:

cNvER6Z.png

Here's the engine with the new covers installed:

ipVpGVH.png

JS5IMPN.png

Very nice! You aren't kidding about those exhaust manifolds. I'd be paranoid about those cooking a lot of things!

Those BB Chrysler engines with the elevated exhaust manifold were always a challenge for me when I was a teenager working in a Chevron station in Vancouver. Leaning over the fender, trying to make a good aim to the oil cap hole was about as stressful as could be! almost always got some small dribble on the manifold and the poor owner had to smell that for at least 5 blocks!

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Very nice! You aren't kidding about those exhaust manifolds. I'd be paranoid about those cooking a lot of things!

You should see the passenger's side, the angle below doesn't quite do it justice. I actually slipped a piece of header wrap between the manifold and the cover just for some extra insulation. I understand why they did them that way- to get a bigger manifold with smoother curves without getting in the way of the front suspension... but it did have its downsides.

Ewu9HVE.png

Used to like 318, 360 and 440 mopar engines and Dodge vans Satellites and Furys.
One of the last jobs I did in the 70's was a head refresh on a 440 wagon (outside in the lot) I recall the intake was heavy, cant recall if it had a splash pan intake gasket. Car ran REAL strong after I redid the top end.

But so did some old lady's 428 Pontiac GP after a new timing chain and a tune up. I wanted to buy that car even though I wasn't a Pontiac fan. Sleeper.
She wouldn't sell AFTER my nice tune up
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Those BB Chrysler engines with the elevated exhaust manifold were always a challenge for me when I was a teenager working in a Chevron station in Vancouver. Leaning over the fender, trying to make a good aim to the oil cap hole was about as stressful as could be! almost always got some small dribble on the manifold and the poor owner had to smell that for at least 5 blocks!
not as bad as those 60s ford trucks with a 352,360 or 390 that filled the frame up with oil when you pulled the plug. Those leaked for weeks!

I spent a lot of hours in similar engine bays back in the 1990's. Brings me right back to my B5 Blue 1969 GTX. What are you running for ignition on your Mopar? Mopar Performance electronic ignition? Pertronix? Or just plain old points and condenser? I still have a MP Electronic Ignition kit that I bought new in 1996 and never installed.

As close as those exhaust manifolds are to other components, I never had anything melt or fail due to them. I long for those days when you could change various belts, alternator, or a radiator in 30-60 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
not as bad as those 60s ford trucks with a 352,360 or 390 that filled the frame up with oil when you pulled the plug. Those leaked for weeks!

Here in NY that's not an unwated feature! At least the frame won't rust in that spot.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I spent a lot of hours in similar engine bays back in the 1990's. Brings me right back to my B5 Blue 1969 GTX. What are you running for ignition on your Mopar? Mopar Performance electronic ignition? Pertronix? Or just plain old points and condenser? I still have a MP Electronic Ignition kit that I bought new in 1996 and never installed.

As close as those exhaust manifolds are to other components, I never had anything melt or fail due to them. I long for those days when you could change various belts, alternator, or a radiator in 30-60 minutes.

I converted it to regular Mopar electronic ignition many years ago, and right now I've got a "Rev-n-ator" aftermarket unit with a settable rev limit, but in a box that looks like a stock Mopar EI (http://thertgarage.com/products.html). Its a little over priced for what it is since it doesn't have multiple sparks like MSD, but I've had some infant failures with the aftermarket EI boxes I've gotten in recent years and I like having a rev limiter. Unlike MSD, I can pop a spare Mopar EI box back in with a 3/8 wrench and a phillips screwdriver in about 5 minutes if it dies. Ever since the 70s I've always carried a spare ignition module and ballast resistor in the glovebox. Only had to use it a handful of times, but it sure beats walking!

The only thing that the manifolds have ever cooked for me is the valve cover gasket. I've tried the high-temp silicone gaskets with the steel valve covers, and the steel covers just flex too much to fully compress them and I always had to supplement with RTV, which itself would cook eventually. But these cast covers sealed right up with reusable Moroso silicone-over-steel gaskets and no added sealer or RTV, which was really nice.

Chrysler big-blocks are *wonderfully* easy to service in so many ways. 4 bolts hold in the water pump, which you can replace without removing the alternator/AC belts. Front distributor (yeah, the angle makes it just a little cramped, but not bad). "Dry" intake manifold so you don't have to drain the cooling system to R&R it. Deep-skirt block makes for a completely flat one-piece oil pan gasket without those pain-in-the-rear curved end pieces like smallblock Mopars (and Chevies) have. Oil pump mounted outside the block so you can swap it without dropping the pan.

Your engine brings back memories. I truly enjoy seeing survivors that are well cared for. Are you a fan of the TV show Graveyard Carz?

Have you ever tried the exhaust manifold gaskets that have the heat shield tabs that rise up past the exhaust port level? Lot of us have had good results with those keeping the heat off of the valve cover.

The "HP" manifolds are a magnificent design that will support over 500hp.

Last edited:
I love the Mopars from the 50's and 60's. A friend back in the day owned a 69 Dodge Superbee, 440 Sixpack! Orange with matte black lift off fiberglass hood. I love the quirkiness of the Mopars. His was a bench seat column shifted 727 automatic. I witnessed him destroying a 69 Ford 428 Torino Cobra one Saturday night on a country road turned drag strip. How bout a few outside pics of that Mopar Missile!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Have you ever tried the exhaust manifold gaskets that have the heat shield tabs that rise up past the exhaust port level? Lot of us have had good results with those keeping the heat off of the valve cover.

x2! Those manifolds performed as well, probably better than any after market header. The manifolds alone are worth a lot of money and are scarce as hens teeth.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Funny you mention that, those came up on a Facebook C-body forum just the other day. I haven't tried them, and the others who had were running 50/50 between "work great!" and "blew out in no time." Next time I need manifold gaskets, I'll definitely try them but for now it aint leakin, so I aint touchin' it! :)

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I love the Mopars from the 50's and 60's. A friend back in the day owned a 69 Dodge Superbee, 440 Sixpack! Orange with matte black lift off fiberglass hood. I love the quirkiness of the Mopars. His was a bench seat column shifted 727 automatic. I witnessed him destroying a 69 Ford 428 Torino Cobra one Saturday night on a country road turned drag strip. How bout a few outside pics of that Mopar Missile!

I've been moving my shared images over from Photosuckit to Imgur, so let's give it a try...

Older photo with 14" Magnum wheels)

agLS7Op.jpg

Fairly recent, top up with the current steelies, caps, and trim rings:

HSzMwFg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back